Lake Hodges Images

markjwyatt

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On the way back from a trip to North San Diego County last week, I stopped by Lake Hodges. The lake moves in and out a lot, so there are interesting features. I did something similar decades ago, so was curious to see what things look like now. I got some interesting shots. I am posting a couple here, but there are more here. Let m know what you think.

Luminous Scene by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Egrets in Dead Tree by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: Sil
Hi Mark, you got some nice shots there. My pick is #1 as I just like it more than #2 which looks like you got a bit of banding in the sky. The ones on Flickr look ok, maybe if you have it in your editing software use the Dehaze, hope this helps.

Thanks, FujiDave. Not sure I am seeing banding? My monitor is not calibrated. I will look into dehazing (I am shooting jpegs now, and used Gimp to crop a little and tweak contrast; that's most of it).

Interesting- I do see some lines in the image in the bottom quarter of the image. I suspect the sky is way overexposed. Is this what you mean by banding?

upload_2018-5-7_15-6-59.png

My observations have more to do with composition. I like both of these shots, but it looks like the tops of the distant hills are cut out of the frame in the first one. You mentioned cropping; do you have a version that shows the hills completely?

I like the second shot a lot - just wondering what it would look like as a vertical, or even square crop.

Both images seem cropped tightly, and may be stronger with more details in the frame. Just my two cents. :)

My observations have more to do with composition. I like both of these shots, but it looks like the tops of the distant hills are cut out of the frame in the first one. You mentioned cropping; do you have a version that shows the hills completely?

I like the second shot a lot - just wondering what it would look like as a vertical, or even square crop.

Both images seem cropped tightly, and may be stronger with more details in the frame. Just my two cents. :)

Thanks, terri. Good points on cropping. I do not have another version of the first one with full hills. Maybe I should just crop the sky out, like this one. It grabs more attention with the house, and a lack of sky gives a sense of comfort. I am considering removing the telephone lines, but they are part of the scene. I will take a look at the second shot cropped more vertically.

Luminous Scene with House by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Spoke too soon. I do have a very similar shot, at I believe one stop less exposure, and the hills are visible. Do you think this is an improvement? I debated which one to go with. I thought the one I picked had a little better high key tonality in the distant part of the scene. But this one is close (with a bit of tweaking the tone curve).

upload_2018-5-7_16-12-42.png

Here is the second- closer to square.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-7_16-20-17.png
    upload_2018-5-7_16-20-17.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 98
I personally like the square crop better here. What do you think?

The shot with the hilltops showing seems stronger than the one showing the house. I like it!

Interesting- I do see some lines in the image in the bottom quarter of the image. I suspect the sky is way overexposed. Is this what you mean by banding?

View attachment 157520

I only said banding because I shared a photo, and someone said banding in the sky. It looked just like your one, but not sure what the correct wording is though.

Second photo more interesting. I would turn camera to the left a bit.

Second photo more interesting. I would turn camera to the left a bit.

Agreed. The bird is flying out of the photo. He took off as I was framing, so I quickly snapped the shot. I have some more images of them flying low to the ground that I need to crop, and I will upload to my photostream later.

Most reactions

Back