Landscape Critique (NY Skyline)

rasheemo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello again guys. I haven't done many night shots, so this is a new field for me. this image was darkened in PS a bit. i don't remember if i overexposed the original or not (on purpose) but i just preferred the composition on this one.

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL (it should include EXIF data):

IMG_0563.jpg

NYC_Skyline_by_Halcyphilia.jpg

Last edited:
oh and also, i used ISO 100 for all the night shots. is that a bad idea?

I like the composition. Definately always use ISO 100 for all shots since I assume you had a tripod.

Also, are you using the grids (if your camera allows for it?) This way, you can level the picture. It looks ever so slightly tilted to the left.

To my eyes, it looks a little underexposed and might not have been darkened. What did the original look like, if you could post it that would be great.

What was the exif on this picture?

Looks pretty good, but could be a little bit lighter. Nice

~Michael~

A low ISO is a must in night shots IF you don't want noise. Not to be confused with low light photography where you either need strong diffused light or a higher ISO, but you will get noise as a result from using a high ISO. I like it, but I would have gone wider but it IS a great attempt! Keep it up! :)

I really like the colors captured in the night shot. It does look a little tilted, which can be fix in photoshop

i'm not sure. i have an XT, so if anyone knows offhand if there is a grid and how to enable it that would be awesome. I'll post the original once i get home. thanks guys!

ok i updated to include the original. sorry for the double post!

I like the original much much better. I have found shooting citys, that a little overexposure is where i like to keep things, instead of shooting what your eye sees. (which in this case would probably be the second one)

Nice shot. Do you have a wider lens?

~Michael~

i only have the kit lens 18-55, although i CAN shoot wider than i did over there, theres a lot of stuff that would have gotten in the way, like the top of a tree or something. here is one that i tried to get. i couldn't make it too wide without including stuff i didn't want.

IMG_0568.jpg

There is a great new feature in CS3that addresses the wider issue. Its called photo merge. Go back sometime and retake that photo, but this time take another photo on each side of it. Photo merge will take all 3 photos and merge them together to look like one photo. It works really well for skylines and landscapes....

If you dont have CS3 you can take the photos and send them to me and I will do it for you.

The second one is definitely the better looking of the two, imo. Definitely use 100 iso for night (if you have a tripod). It makes for great pictures. :)

i have CS3, is photo merge kind of like panorama? i don't know why i didn't think of that! thanks for the suggestion =]

Most reactions

Back