Landscape Photography

Well I've been using my Systemic legs with a Wimberley head for 5 years now. Not one complaint about either one.

As for tripods I still use this beast:

Amazon.com : AmazonBasics 70-Inch Pistol Grip Tripod with Bag : Camera Tripods : Camera & Photo

It weighs almost as much as a volkswagon, but it gets the job done on the rare occasions when I use a tripod.
It weighs 10 lbs?? That... That's heavy. For just a tripod. Especially since my main thing is pretty much going to be travel photography so that might not be my first choice.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

We'll if landscapes are a big thing for you it wouldn't be my recommendation, like I said, it weighs as much as a small car. For me it works great, but then again I don't haul it out of the closet all that often because I'm not much for shooting with a tripod.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks a lot like a rebranded Manfrotto 055. Do you actually use the head? The legs look serviceable but that head I would dump. Can't it imagine it would be stable. I know the Manfrotto version wasn't with all but the lightest cameras. If you like that style of head you might look at the Manfrotto 324RC2 head. I actually use a converted 322RC2 head that was converted to area swiss.

Actually the head is incredibly stable, believe it or not - though I'm more of a traditional ball head fan so that's normally what I use. The thing weighs a ton but it's stable as all get out - even in incredibly high winds. It's built like a tank.

I only use this thing maybe once or twice a year, if that.. 99% of what I shoot is handheld. But for the rare occasions when I'd like a longer exposure, man, it works like a charm.
Sorry, don't believe it, but that is based on messing around with the Manfrotto version. A friend bought that same style head from Manfrotto and it just had little bits of creep in it no matter how much he adjusted it. The legs look like a tank, but that head. Too much stuff onto of the ball. That's why my general use head is an RRS o55. If I need it I can drop it on any of my three sets of legs.

Sorry, don't believe it, but that is based on messing around with the Manfrotto version. A friend bought that same style head from Manfrotto and it just had little bits of creep in it no matter how much he adjusted it. The legs look like a tank, but that head. Too much stuff onto of the ball. That's why my general use head is an RRS o55. If I need it I can drop it on any of my three sets of legs.

The one I have is stiff as a board - it's actually difficult to move even when you pull the trigger thingy. But then again it gets almost no use whatsoever. I put a ball head on it and tossed it in the closet, pull it out maybe once or twice a year at most.

I actually like my modified 322 head for studio work, but I'm not putting long glass on it.

And while we're on the topic of using tripods... Could I just ask for recommendations on this thread as well? Or should I start a new one?

A tripod you carry around is better than a tripod that gets left at home.
Manfrotto's lower end stuff is rubbish.
Gitzo is overpriced but fairly decent.
Carbon fibre, if you can afford it, is totally awesome.
Find your shot first and then setup the tripod.
Tripods too weak for your camera might end up being an expensive lesson.
And...arca-Swiss compatible heads when possible.
I was deciding between the Vanguard Alta Pro and the MeFOTO road trip.

meFoto uses arca-Swiss compatible plates. Go with MeFoto. They're a Chinese imported gitzo clone. FotoPro cloned meFoto in a stunning twist.
Two newbie questions for you:

Why carbon fiber? That's usually lighter than aluminum version so it would be better to carry around. But I thought heavy tripods typically mean more stability?

Also, what's the deal with the Arca swiss plates? Is it just the quick release system?

And while we're on the topic of using tripods... Could I just ask for recommendations on this thread as well? Or should I start a new one?

A tripod you carry around is better than a tripod that gets left at home.
Manfrotto's lower end stuff is rubbish.
Gitzo is overpriced but fairly decent.
Carbon fibre, if you can afford it, is totally awesome.
Find your shot first and then setup the tripod.
Tripods too weak for your camera might end up being an expensive lesson.
And...arca-Swiss compatible heads when possible.
I was deciding between the Vanguard Alta Pro and the MeFOTO road trip.

meFoto uses arca-Swiss compatible plates. Go with MeFoto. They're a Chinese imported gitzo clone. FotoPro cloned meFoto in a stunning twist.
Two newbie questions for you:

Why carbon fiber? That's usually lighter than aluminum version so it would be better to carry around. But I thought heavy tripods typically mean more stability?

Also, what's the deal with the Arca swiss plates? Is it just the quick release system?

Heavy tripods mean pain in the arse to carry.
Carbon Fibre dampens vibration better, actually more stable and you can hang a bag of rocks from the hook if you need weight.
Arca Swiss plates is as close as you can get to a standard quick release. The problem with propriety plates is that if you lose one, you have to find the same plate. Easy enough for manfrotto, next to Impossible for smaller brands.

You can always weigh down a tripod for more stability - but you can't make a heavier tripod lighter to make it easier to carry.

They've been around for a long time and are very well regarded. They are considered to be the "standard" by many as a result.

I shoot for Vanguard so I have a bunch of their tripods, I definitely like them (used them for years before they offered me the sponsorship). I have a few different ones in the Alta pro line and they're great, and I definitely suggest carbon fiber if you can afford it. I'm a landscape shooter and I'm always hiking with gear, so having carbon fiber tripods is pretty essential to cut weight where I can. Get a tripod/ballhead that can support a good amount of weight. If your camera+lens is 5 pounds, get something that can support 10, that type of thing.

Even though I use one sometimes, I wouldn't suggest buying one of those compact "travel" tripods. Yes, they weigh almost nothing and fold up super small, they aren't really stable at all. I use mine to support my timelapse slider sometimes but that's pretty much it.

Alternatively, induro have some new carbon fiber tripods out that are amazing. Super stable and pretty damn light. My buddy bought a few recently and I was very impressed.

I shoot for Vanguard so I have a bunch of their tripods, I definitely like them (used them for years before they offered me the sponsorship). I have a few different ones in the Alta pro line and they're great, and I definitely suggest carbon fiber if you can afford it. I'm a landscape shooter and I'm always hiking with gear, so having carbon fiber tripods is pretty essential to cut weight where I can. Get a tripod/ballhead that can support a good amount of weight. If your camera+lens is 5 pounds, get something that can support 10, that type of thing.

Even though I use one sometimes, I wouldn't suggest buying one of those compact "travel" tripods. Yes, they weigh almost nothing and fold up super small, they aren't really stable at all. I use mine to support my timelapse slider sometimes but that's pretty much it.

Alternatively, induro have some new carbon fiber tripods out that are amazing. Super stable and pretty damn light. My buddy bought a few recently and I was very impressed.
Which tripods from Induro would you recommend?

Which tripods from Induro would you recommend?

I don't know the model names, if you google them it's their new carbon fiber ones.

You can always weigh down a tripod for more stability - but you can't make a heavier tripod lighter to make it easier to carry.

They've been around for a long time and are very well regarded. They are considered to be the "standard" by many as a result.
One other thing about Arca-swiss besides the availability. It is probably the most secure system you will find. I have no problem carrying around a $10,000.00 lens attached to a $7,000.00 body that is attached to a monopod with an Arca-swiss quick release and Arca-swiss foot on my 400mm f2.8. In addition, there are all sorts of Arca-swiss feet/plated for camera bodies, lenses etc. An Arca-swiss L bracket on a camera body makes it a snap to rotate the camera from landscape to portrait orientation without having to flop the tripod head over to the side. This keeps the weight centered over the tripod for better stability.

Down side to Arca-swiss. It is precision made and it tends to be expensive, but to me the versatility and security make it worth it to me.

Forgot to mention, if you choose to go Arca-swiss go with a good quality QR clamp and good quality plates. They will be more expensive but not all Arca-Swiss is the same. The cheaper Arca-swiss compatible plates and QR clamps may not have the safety feature built into it. Personally I only use RRS, Kirk or Wimberley plates as they all provide the same measure of secondary security.

We'll if landscapes are a big thing for you it wouldn't be my recommendation, like I said, it weighs as much as a small car.

You must be very strong. :1247:

The Induro ones are $100+ more expensive. Yikes.

Forgot to mention, if you choose to go Arca-swiss go with a good quality QR clamp and good quality plates. They will be more expensive but not all Arca-Swiss is the same. The cheaper Arca-swiss compatible plates and QR clamps may not have the safety feature built into it. Personally I only use RRS, Kirk or Wimberley plates as they all provide the same measure of secondary security.

Wait, the MeFOTO RoadTrip comes with the plates and all that stuff already doesn't it? I still have to upgrade?

Wait, the MeFOTO RoadTrip comes with the plates and all that stuff already doesn't it? I still have to upgrade?
Depends on you and the security you feel with the OR head and plates. Old but good article. Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan and no you don't have to spend a fortune on a good tripod. What you need to do is look for a good one that does the one thing it is supposed to do, support you camera and lens. A lot of people get caught up in the fluff with tripods. Personally I prefer buying legs and my choice of head instead of package deals. With package deals there is always some bit of compromise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back