Landscape Photography

But since I'm going to be using this lens on a crop sensor, it'd actually be closer to 16-24mm. (If I did my math right.) That doesn't make it an ultra wide anymore, I think.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the 11-16 (or 11-20)? Because that lens is designed for crop sensors, so you wouldn't need to take the crop factor into account.
Oooh, now I see why this particular lens could be limited in terms of range. Eh, I'll get it anyway. I still think it's something I'm gonna need for future landscape shots.

And while we're on the topic of using tripods... Could I just ask for recommendations on this thread as well? Or should I start a new one?

It's your thread, I'm good with it. How much are you willing to spend. Tripods are one of those things that if you are willing to spend around $300 give or take a little you can get yourself a set up that will last a lifetime for most people.

And while we're on the topic of using tripods... Could I just ask for recommendations on this thread as well? Or should I start a new one?

A tripod you carry around is better than a tripod that gets left at home.
Manfrotto's lower end stuff is rubbish.
Gitzo is overpriced but fairly decent.
Carbon fibre, if you can afford it, is totally awesome.
Find your shot first and then setup the tripod.
Tripods too weak for your camera might end up being an expensive lesson.
And...arca-Swiss compatible heads when possible.

I was deciding between the Vanguard Alta Pro and the MeFOTO road trip.

I was deciding between the Vanguard Alta Pro and the MeFOTO road trip.

meFoto uses arca-Swiss compatible plates. Go with MeFoto. They're a Chinese imported gitzo clone. FotoPro cloned meFoto in a stunning twist.

Keep in mind that every leg section means a little less stability. My Studio pod is a two section. My general travel pod is a 3 section. My specially pod is a 4 section with out a column as it is used for both my heaviest lens/camera combo.

Well I've been using my Systemic legs with a Wimberley head for 5 years now. Not one complaint about either one.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I've been using my Systemic legs with a Wimberley head for 5 years now. Not one complaint about either one.

As for tripods I still use this beast:

Amazon.com : AmazonBasics 70-Inch Pistol Grip Tripod with Bag : Camera Tripods : Camera & Photo

It weighs almost as much as a volkswagon, but it gets the job done on the rare occasions when I use a tripod.
Looks a lot like a rebranded Manfrotto 055. Do you actually use the head? The legs look serviceable but that head I would dump. Can't it imagine it would be stable. I know the Manfrotto version wasn't with all but the lightest cameras. If you like that style of head you might look at the Manfrotto 324RC2 head. I actually use a converted 322RC2 head that was converted to area swiss.

Amazon.com : AmazonBasics 70-Inch Pistol Grip Tripod with Bag : Camera Tripods : Camera & Photo

It weighs almost as much as a volkswagon, but it gets the job done on the rare occasions when I use a tripod.
It weighs 10 lbs?? That... That's heavy. For just a tripod. Especially since my main thing is pretty much going to be travel photography so that might not be my first choice.

It weighs 10 lbs?? That... That's heavy. For just a tripod. Especially since my main thing is pretty much going to be travel photography so that might not be my first choice.

I know several people that use the Fiesol brand, specifically these legs. FEISOL CT-3401 Classic Rapid Carbon Fiber Tripod CT-3401N B&H They are quite satisfied with them.

Looks a lot like a rebranded Manfrotto 055. Do you actually use the head? The legs look serviceable but that head I would dump. Can't it imagine it would be stable. I know the Manfrotto version wasn't with all but the lightest cameras. If you like that style of head you might look at the Manfrotto 324RC2 head. I actually use a converted 322RC2 head that was converted to area swiss.

Actually the head is incredibly stable, believe it or not - though I'm more of a traditional ball head fan so that's normally what I use. The thing weighs a ton but it's stable as all get out - even in incredibly high winds. It's built like a tank.

I only use this thing maybe once or twice a year, if that.. 99% of what I shoot is handheld. But for the rare occasions when I'd like a longer exposure, man, it works like a charm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back