Landscape, Portrait or Trash it???

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is Looking Glass Rock in the Pisgah National Forest. Does it look better orientated in Landscape or Portrait. Or should I just move on to the others shots taken in this area?

Landscape
DSC_3779_edited-1.jpg

Portrait
DSC_3774_edited-1.jpg

Thanks for your comments.

Landscape - I like how the greenery frames the rock; looks more...complete?

Both pictures are nice. If I were to pick one, I think I'd go with the portrait as more attention is given to the actual rock. (You could always keep both you know) :)

Thanks ~Steela~ and Dynamic.

So that's:
1 vote Landscape
1 vote Portrait
0 vote Trash It

I'm still sitting on the fence.

i vote portrait. too much going on in the landscape one

I vote landscape - I think it brings out the personality and shape of the mountain better.

I vote landscape...I like how the foliage frames Looking Glass. It would be really cool to see that shot with fall colors!

Landscape here. More complete. (I think you are getting a trend at last ;)).

Portrait is effective in emphasizing the height of the rock face.

skieur

Portrait is effective in emphasizing the height of the rock face.

True. But I feel like the portrait shot looks like a tall rock face. The landscape shot gives the rock face an anthropomorphic layer of personality that I don't think you get in the portrait shot.

Thanks everybody for your comments. Unfortunately it's a tie and needs to be broken.

So that's:
5 votes Landscape
5 votes Portrait (assuming nossie prefers the portrait) - nice work :sillysmi:
0 vote Trash It :)hail:)

Anyone else care to cast an opinion?

Portrait. It was a very close decision for me. I had already typed in the text "landscape" before I changed my mind! I chose portrait because the bright bushes/ trees in the foreground stand out more than the rock itself, so your eyes (at least my eyes) look there first. On the portrait it emphasizes the rock more (like skieur said) with less distraction.

To comment the actual photo I think it's slightly over contrasted as it is excessively bright in some spots but kind of dark in the shadows. Or maybe this could be fixed by just lightening the shadows a little bit.

Most reactions

Back