Landscape shots C&C

PJL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I'm a very novice photographer and I usually don't like to put creative stuff I've done out for criticism, but I figure it's the only way I'm going to improve. These are a few shots I took in New Zealand on a recent trip there and I'd like your thoughts about them. Thanks :)

For the record, the first, second, and fourth were taken with a 35mm Rebel G using Fujifilm Pro 160S film, while the third was taken with a Canon PowerShot A590is.

78320181.jpg

img1998k.jpg

editseascape.jpg

78320048.jpg

Those certainly are not shots taken in NYS. ;)

The mountain shots are nice, but shots seen all the time. Even though I would probably shoot them the same way. Also, it is difficult to say much with those, as they are limited in size, thus clarity.

I like the color of #2, it makes me feel cold.

The last water shot might look different if you were to lie down on the beach and try that angle.

It is nice work though...

Unfortunately I only have low-res scans to work with from the 35mm. I got a few enlargements made, though (12x24 from the first, 11x14 from the 2nd and 3rd, and an 8x12 from the fourth); all of them held up except the first one, which was blurry just because of the level of cropping to get it to those dimensions.

And thanks :)

Wow
Film shots and scans. I understand.
Sorry, I hope you were not thinking I thought they were bad shots.

One of my MOs is to make comments and listen to what people say about my comments. Sometimes a great way to learn on forums.

Very nice.

#1 looks like it has a bit of a yellow color cast to the foliage.

I think #2 and #4 are the best.

#2 is really good because you have the small people as a reference point to really drive home the magnitude of these mountains. I would crop in ( or would have shot it a little tighter ) so that you have the two distant people in the pic, but not the two people sitting by the water.

^ What's interesting is that in the original of the third pic, there was a guy in the foreground, but I edited him out because I didn't know who he was and didn't feel like having a pic of a random dude in my 11x14. I can post the original, as well.

Wow
Film shots and scans. I understand.
Sorry, I hope you were not thinking I thought they were bad shots.

One of my MOs is to make comments and listen to what people say about my comments. Sometimes a great way to learn on forums.

No, I get what you're trying to say. And I definitely appreciate the input. As I said, I'm completely new to the theoretical/artistic study of photography. I think I took about 800 shots between digital and film (500 of the former, 300 of the latter, give or take), with maybe a few dozen I really consider "keepers."

Last edited:
img1798x.jpg

I hope you do not mind, I posted a larger copy of your photograph. I will delete it if you like.

Those cliffs and the clouds are spectacular. Definitely remove the "dude". :mrgreen:

If you do not mind, where is this shot taken.

No that's fine, thanks! I was trying to figure out how to do that myself since I've seen so many other pics on here posted that way.

That was taken at Tunnel Beach, which is just outside of Dunedin, NZ.

New Zealand is on my wife's and mine schedule for the future.

BTW:
I clicked on your shot, and then opened it all the way. I right clicked on the open shot and copied the shot. Then I put the curser in the post and clicked paste.

Technically they are all good. I agree with the other poster that a different angle on number 4 might be better. Number 3 is by far the best and most interesting shot in my opinion.

^ What's interesting is that in the original of the third pic, there was a guy in the foreground, but I edited him out because I didn't know who he was and didn't feel like having a pic of a random dude in my 11x14. I can post the original, as well.

Thats very good. The fact that its a non- recognizable person makes it more universal so that actually works well. I was reading a magazine recently ( either shutterbug or Popular Photo ) and they had an article on this by some photographer. He had a huge pic looking down into this river that ran between all of these towering peaks ( he must have shot from the top of one of the peaks. ) . Anyway, you see a little tiny spec of a boat with a wake trail behind it. He used this as an example. He then showed the same picture with the boat cloned out, and the pic totally lost its impact. Your eye had no reference for how amazing the mountain range was.

Here is a very minor adjustment I did to the first pic just to tone down the yellow a bit.

78320181.jpg

^ Wow, I really like that. It's interesting, but the scan came out a lot brighter than the actual print, which doesn't have such an apparent yellow tint to it.

Nice shots! I love seeing people's NZ photos on here :)

Most reactions

Back