What's new

Landscapes for C&C

I plan to use a polarizer possibly and a 10 stop B&W ND that screws on. Screw or slide, the len(es) I have plan to use (I think) are both zooms and are going to move from any activity at the front of the lens so its one evil, screw or slide, or the other. But I will be using only the polarizer and/or the 10 stop. And probably well during the day.

I have ND Grads, but that is a separate project for now.

Did you use a Prime for your #1 shot?
 
I plan to use a polarizer possibly and a 10 stop B&W ND that screws on. Screw or slide, the len(es) I have plan to use (I think) are both zooms and are going to move from any activity at the front of the lens so its one evil, screw or slide, or the other. But I will be using only the polarizer and/or the 10 stop. And probably well during the day.

I have ND Grads, but that is a separate project for now.

Did you use a Prime for your #1 shot?

For that shot I had on a Tamron 10-24mm lens, I think at 11 mm. Its a lens that makes me lust for the Nikor 14-24.

Nice that you have a 10 stop ND, it would be fun to play with one of those. I shoot with my polarizer constantly, and had it on my lens non stop while shooting fall color this past week. The trick is to just get in the habit of checking its rotated properly before most of your shots. ( I occasionally space out about it going from landscape to portrait )
 
Ok so maybe when you were manipulating the filter the lens moved a bit....I think I need to watch for that big time with the zoom.
 
Ok so maybe when you were manipulating the filter the lens moved a bit....I think I need to watch for that big time with the zoom.

It was a remote release didnt touch the camera at all sort of deal so that wasnt it. I think its the lens because the guy next to me had a D3 with 14-24 on it taking similar long exposures. We compared shots on lcd's and his blew mine away.
 
Noted for release. With a 10 stop I have to be careful for what movements the lens or tripod makes that I might not be able to see through the viewfinder after the 10 stop install. Wish me Luck!
 
Number 1 is fantastic, softness or not. You squint a bit and it has an abstract quality that I love. The colour is stunning, relaxing, serene.

Number 2 I find kind of jarring due to the bright colour. Perhaps the negative effect is stronger when viewed right after the pastel colours of #1.

Number 3 doesn't do anything for me at this size, but I believe it should come to life when viewed really big.

This is a great set overall, way above the average for this forum.
 
Number 1 is fantastic, softness or not. You squint a bit and it has an abstract quality that I love. The colour is stunning, relaxing, serene.

Number 2 I find kind of jarring due to the bright colour. Perhaps the negative effect is stronger when viewed right after the pastel colours of #1.

Number 3 doesn't do anything for me at this size, but I believe it should come to life when viewed really big.

This is a great set overall, way above the average for this forum.

cool thank you very much for the compliment :)
 
Noted for release. With a 10 stop I have to be careful for what movements the lens or tripod makes that I might not be able to see through the viewfinder after the 10 stop install. Wish me Luck!

I took a shot in aperature mode f/8 with no filters and took note of the shutter speed. I then put on my filters and adjusted the time based on how many stops I went up. That way I didnt have to wait 12 minutes to know if my exposure was close.
 
Cool. I was able to locate a chart that I want to use to assist with the timing. I like your approach though...I am surely worried though about getting that filter on an screwing up the focus and having it come out soft because of it, but I might be using f/11 or so; it might give me a speck more room for askew.
 
Cool. I was able to locate a chart that I want to use to assist with the timing. I like your approach though...I am surely worried though about getting that filter on an screwing up the focus and having it come out soft because of it, but I might be using f/11 or so; it might give me a speck more room for askew.

Yeah every bit of sharpness helps. Also keep in mind I had been shooting seascapes for two days so although my filters had been cleaned, I dont think they were crystal sharp by that point.
 
1 = Wonderful! Love the color and the feel. could use some sharpening up as you mentioned.
2 = Cool. Nice color and a cool overall feel and place.
3 = Eh... The foam/water is far too distracting even if it is the subject.
 
Tough choice to pick just one.....they are all very nice.
 
#2 is pleasing to the eye. The large green plants of the foreground diminishing in size as they head for the distance add depth helped by the darker colors separating the rows. There are no mid layer interruptions letting the eye move naturally to the rear. Nice time of day to photograph.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom