Neon Signs - C&C Please

Scuba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken at the American Sign Museum in Cincinnati, OH. Took these as part of a favor for a friend to use on their wedding invitations....they are having the reception at the sign museum. Different but kinda neat. I also did their engagment pictures here. It was interesting to say the least. Anyways these are some of the signs from the shoot. The signs were very tightly spaced which made it challenging. All taken with 5D and 50mm 1.8. Please C&C and please be honest I won't cry.

#1 1/200 f/8 iso 800
2424658180105877871S600x600Q85.jpg

#2 1/1000 f/3.2 iso 800
2701408550105877871S600x600Q85.jpg

#3 1/3200 f/2.2 iso 800
2037600790105877871S600x600Q85.jpg

#4 1/13 f/22 iso 800
2913890750105877871S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks frequency. To be honest those are my two favorites as well. They look like they have suffered in sharpness from the upload. What don't you like about #2 & #3? Just curious.

PS like the rhyme.

Nice, but 3 is not a neon sign....

Considering the tight shot factor, otherwise we obviously would not know and probably would have suggested some other crop or less tight frame shot.
For what they are, I do like the richness of the tones and range and they are like you said neat.

These seem to be pictures of some else's "art" without a great deal of contribution by the photographer except for the angle perspective which is essentially arbitrary.

I don't know what the OP wants us to see in these.

I like #1, but it looks like the white light is in focus, while the red "bowling" is OOF. I would've liked it better if "bowling" was sharp.

These seem to be pictures of some else's "art" without a great deal of contribution by the photographer except for the angle perspective which is essentially arbitrary.

I don't know what the OP wants us to see in these.

Interesting opinion. I see your point, but it also makes me think does the same statement apply to photographing a building? That is an architect's art and that is just photographed with perspective? Just a thought that came to mind.

I guess what I would say you could comment on is the lighting, focus, crop, perspective, etc. I am confused why it would be different then any other picture.

I like #1, but it looks like the white light is in focus, while the red "bowling" is OOF. I would've liked it better if "bowling" was sharp.

I agree now that I looked closer. I pulled up the original image and it is certainly in focus, something must have happened on upload. I uploaded it to flicker instead of webshots. It seems to be much better this time. Does webshots downgrade the image quality?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75006141@N05/6751118229/

Not trying to be difficult but this is what I think.

I understand what you are saying but I think there are substantial differences here. A building's main purpose is most often to be a usable structures with beauty as a secondary element. Then the photographer uses his/her photography to capture something about the building that is more than just documentary, but elaborates on the form in some way to show the viewer something.

Signs are meant to be looked at - no other purpose - and the angles, crop, perspective of these pictures of those signs don't seem to relate to the content of the sign or have any meaning in relationship to the sign. They seem just arbitrary.

The focus, color and exposure are technical issues that, imo, are really secondary because the camera does most of that.

No offense meant.

I like the shots! Don't mean to hijack your post, and I know people don't like links to other sites, so follow this if you'd like... or not, that's fine also.

Point being..... I love the sign museum! Been there multiple times, and can't wait till the new location opens!

I shot a bunch of 360º panoramics there a while back. Haven't put the interactive (VR) versions on the web, but here's a link to the flattened versions if you'd like to take a look.

Again, don't mean to steal your post, but I thought you'd appreciate the shots.

here's the gallery: http://chrisstegner.zenfolio.com/p188904146

Most reactions

Back