Laptop for photoshop?

Auto_Photo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone us their laptop for post editing in photoshop? My desktop crashed and I really dont want to invest in a new one and was just wondering if anyone else had experience using a laptop monitor and what kind of results you got by using it to edit your photos?

Thanks for your input

I use my MBP for field editing, but only because it is calibrated. I always check my calibrated monitor before prints, but I never have a problem with it.

I use my laptop(Gateway FX) to download, sort and preview pics but I gave up editing on it. The print colors NEVER came out right. I bought the Spyder3 Pro to calibrate it and it was better but still not right. It handled the software fine though.
I now use my Mac, calibrated, for all the editing when I am going to print or the photo is for a customer.

Since my laptop is the only computer I own, I do all my PP work on it no problem. Photoshop CS4 runs perfectly, and I think my images turn out pretty good. Depending on your computer's stats, though, your milage may vary.

Obviously some people do it...but I wouldn't suggest planning to use a laptop as your primary photo editing tool. At least not the lap top screen. If you must use a laptop for editing, get a good stationary screen.

It's also fairly important that you calibrate your screen...and to do that properly, requires a software device like the Spyder.

I've tried to use my laptop to edit, but it often lags pretty hard when doing multiple files, or labor intensive edits.
I Laptop isn't very old either, it just doesnt have the processing power as my Quad Core desktop does. TO match, if you even can, the power you can get from a desktop, you are going to spend alot of money on a laptop.

The best scenario is to go to a place like tiger direct, or new egg, and build a custom desktop with more power, for less cash.

Something like this would be good...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5635115&Sku=B69-4086

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Whats your opinions on using my LG 42" 1080p TV as a computer monitor.

No clue, I'm sure a color calibration nut will have an opinion on it, but all I can offer is it sounds pretty badass.

macbook Pro screens are designed to give true colour and contrast. not the standard macbook, the macbook pro.

I use an Acer laptop for overflow and field work without any major problems. I would not recommend doing any major color or exposure changes without the addition of a calibrated monitor. As long as you have good exposure cropping and simple retouching should be fine.

I don't have a laptop, but I do have a second computer that I use solely for PP. That way no other programs are in the comp to cause it to lag.

Thanks for the feedback!

R6 dude do u ride? I have an 02 6:)

Using a Nikon D40X, I assumed they were good prints using my laptop. When I get home, I might have time to scan the print and show them to you. And my printer was Canon early model MPX250

I use my dell xps m1330 for editing. Screen is calibrated and results are identical to my 2007wfp and my cg241w.

I also use a samsung 32" 1080p sometimes w/out issue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back