Large and Medium format...

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been wanting to get into LF and MF for a while now but don't know much about it as far as brand names and such. I know this would be a crazy endevor but I would like to take a LF (preferably) on a storm chase and capture tornados (cause I don't think it has been done because of it's craziness). I would figure that setup time would be long and possibly difficult in 40+ winds but if I could capture a great picture of a tornado with LF I would be estatic! What type of lens could I get with one? could I get a wide angle (one the would be comperable to a 10mm on an SLR). Any advice would help.

You can get large format rangefinder cameras that can be used hand-held and do not require any set-up time. You can also get point-and-shoot large format cameras with scale focusing.

Fast film advance is possible with a Grafmatic back, or the rarer Fuji equivalent. Here is a rangefinder 4x5 (a Polaroid 110B conversion) with a 6-sheet Grafmatic beside it:

6517987-md.jpg

If you would like more information on other rangefinder or point-and-shoot LF cameras (including 8x10) just ask.

Best,
Helen

The Graflex XL-RF could be another good rangefinder choice. The neg is 6x9. I don't know if there are any lenses that wide, though. I'd have to check my old catalogs.

Great replies guys. I don't have the money to spend yet or the storms to do it with, but once I get something like that where can I get film and where could I get that developed? I'll look in the other thread for 8x10's... my goal would be to get as close as I could to a tornado and get a shot of the whole thing top to bottom with an amazing amount of detail (perferably a fisheye but I'll have to make do with what I can found and afford). I would of course have to think before I go out what ISO film to get and possibly if I could lug around a massive LF camera where I'll have to drive to be able to set something like that up to get a good shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back