Las Vegas/Nevada desert

soothsayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to photography and am taking another trip to Vegas, this time I really want to get some good shots of various las vegas sights and desert scenaries.

I have a dsc-t100 camera, I just got it and was working with it yesterday for a while. Any recommendations as far as camera settings for a place like las vegas, and the desert, or in general?

Since las vegas night scenery consists of artificial lights would a setting for interior lighting be appropriate?

What ISO # tends to be the best?

I don't find the flash to look natural for the most part but there is a flash burst setting, I don't know what the advantage of that would be compared to a regular flash.

does using the setting "take 3 photos every time the shutter is pressed" take the three photos and find a happy medium and output it as 1 photograph?

best setting for action shots?

And any general advice to have the least blur, the clearest and crispest photographs?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hello, I am new to photography and am taking another trip to Vegas, this time I really want to get some good shots of various las vegas sights and desert scenaries.

I have a dsc-t100 camera, I just got it and was working with it yesterday for a while. Any recommendations as far as camera settings for a place like las vegas, and the desert, or in general?

Since las vegas night scenery consists of artificial lights would a setting for interior lighting be appropriate?

I don't find the flash to look natural for the most part but there is a flash burst setting, I don't know what the advantage of that would be compared to a regular flash.

does using the setting "take 3 photos every time the shutter is pressed" take the three photos and find a happy medium and output it as 1 photograph?

And any general advice to have the least blur, the clearest and crispest photographs?

Buy a DSLR!!

I also sometimes shoot in the desert, Las Vegas area--I live here. As others have suggested buy a dslr or mirrorless.

Use settings as normal for Vegas lights, besides they are such a mix of neon, regular bulbs, flouresent, ect. Use the auto
ISO in most cases as you begin you'll find most cameras these days have auto ISO. I'll shoot mostly using auto ISO but have on occasion bumped it up to 6,000. Remember most cameras these days can "see in the dark" anyway.
Action shots require a higher speed. Be cause I have oldman's shakey hands I shoot at at least 500 and use the anti shake feature, Don't forget to develop your ability to pan either for different types of action.
Really, it simply requires practice and read some posts right here in this site. See the image you want before you press the shutter. Good results require practice and you'll begin to not even think of all the technical things, that will come.
Decent used cameras can be had at KEH or B&H. Very good pricing. DX or FX at this point doesn't matter.
What matters is shoot, learn, and enjoy. Good luck.

I also sometimes shoot in the desert, Las Vegas area--I live here. As others have suggested buy a dslr or mirrorless.

Use settings as normal for Vegas lights, besides they are such a mix of neon, regular bulbs, flouresent, ect. Use the auto
ISO in most cases as you begin you'll find most cameras these days have auto ISO. I'll shoot mostly using auto ISO but have on occasion bumped it up to 6,000. Remember most cameras these days can "see in the dark" anyway.
Action shots require a higher speed. Be cause I have oldman's shakey hands I shoot at at least 500 and use the anti shake feature, Don't forget to develop your ability to pan either for different types of action.
Really, it simply requires practice and read some posts right here in this site. See the image you want before you press the shutter. Good results require practice and you'll begin to not even think of all the technical things, that will come.
Decent used cameras can be had at KEH or B&H. Very good pricing. DX or FX at this point doesn't matter.
Just thought of this: : in Las Vegas you can go to the Neon Museum---colorful older classic signs during the day and lit up at night. If you want to learn how to shoot neon and just about every other type of light, plus enjoy yourself, this is the place to go.

I'm also in Vegas, though I'm mostly doing outdoor photography during the day. I'm planning a trip out to Red Rock canyon this weekend with my kids to get some shots of the mountains and other scenery and put this camera and lenses I bought to the test.

I'm also in Vegas, though I'm mostly doing outdoor photography during the day. I'm planning a trip out to Red Rock canyon this weekend with my kids to get some shots of the mountains and other scenery and put this camera and lenses I bought to the test.
Great tour. I was there with my wife in 2019. Stop at the park store to hit the bathrooms and pick up a tour map and other stuff. Here are some of my shots.

Oh, about 45 minutes from Las Vegas is Valley of the Fire Park, very scenic although I didn;t get there. Here's the google map Las Vegas to Valley of Fire State Park

Also, you're not far from Hoover Dam from Las Vegas, worth the trip. The kids will really like it. My wife and I liked it. You can do it and Valley of Fire in a loop the same day. These two places are east of LV and Red Rock Canyon is west of LV. There are some nice breakfast places in the towns east of LV. So if you leave early, you can stop and have a great breakfast on your way to Hoover Dam. Then continue to Valley of the Fire and circle around afterwards back to LV.
LV to Hoover Dam to Valley of the Fire.

LV to Red Rock.

Oh, about 45 minutes from Las Vegas is Valley of the Fire Park, very scenic although I didn;t get there. Here's the google map Las Vegas to Valley of Fire State Park

Also, you're not far from Hoover Dam from Las Vegas, worth the trip. The kids will really like it. My wife and I liked it. You can do it and Valley of Fire in a loop the same day. These two places are east of LV and Red Rock Canyon is west of LV. There are some nice breakfast places in the towns east of LV. So if you leave early, you can stop and have a great breakfast on your way to Hoover Dam. Then continue to Valley of the Fire and circle around afterwards back to LV.

LV to Red Rock.
Check out Rhyolite about an hour and a half north of Las Vegas. Going through Beatty (pronounced "bay-ti") stop at the small diner in the center of town. Good stuff. Rhyolite and Beatty are right on the edge of Death Valley--plan your trip accordingly. While you are at it don't forget the Opera House Death Valley Junction. What a story that is; talk about a lady from NYC with much grit! Look that up on line. Bring your wide angle lens.
All just a day trip from Las Vegas. There's more to see in the beautiful desert--and be on the lookout you may encounter a heard of wild mustangs!

LV to Red Rock.

I snagged a few pics of the Hoover Dam when we moved out here in 2011 (drove in from Phoenix) but still been thinking of going back there one more time before we leave for good.

I thought about Valley of Fire as well. Might head back into AZ to the Joshua Tree forest too.

The original post is dated 2007. I wonder if the original poster is still there?
Or am I missing a bunch of posts since then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back