440-bw4778.jpg

760-bw4781.jpg

440-bw4782.jpg

760-bw4785.jpg

440-bw4791.jpg

440-bw4800.jpg

440-bw4808.jpg

A little too grainy for me.

I've always found Vegas disturbing to say the least. The town is designed to extract as much money from you as possible in the shortest amount of time. If you have no money to extract or no interest in having it extracted/spending, there is no use for you and you are treated to a different style of the city's hospitality. This is the feeling I've tried to get across in these shots-

The shots are hap-hazard and purposely grainy and noisy. Some are out of focus. I figured whatever it takes to get my point across. I'm not looking for glittery, warm and fuzzy. I want harsh and abrupt and mildly disturbing. It's not about the way they look, but about that thing you feel, the little knot or cringe. This is the way Las Vegas effects me. This is a much more positive outlook than I had several years ago.

Reading something of a quote in an article about Garry Winogrand referenced in a thread on this forum going, 'it's about photos that are on the edge of not working.' Armed with this and a dismal mission of spending 4 days in LV to drop my grand-daughter off at the airport, I finally had a fairly decent time in this -city-.

The first photo, inspired by the little dancer by Degas.

Second, anxiety in one lady while another woman walks quickly by.

Third- No one on this corner appeared to be in town. Listening to the bits of conversation I heard, everyone seemed to be with someone elsewhere (my grand-daughter included). Apparently I had turned invisible.

Fourth shot, I don't know what in the hell this was. She saw the camera and practically ran by. So I aimed and fired.

Fifth. These two guys walked up together, stopped for a bit- one talked on his phone, the other shot a picture. I thought they were together, but a the same moment they turned and vanished in separate directions.

Sixth. Inside the 'Fat Burger' was the one of the two people I saw that appeared to be enjoying themself. Her boyfriend/husband/brother sat there stone-faced.

Seven- These two were talking without looking at each other.

Number eight; my favorite photo of the evening. The girl didn't look real to me.

Nine. The father looked as if he was trying to have fun, but the rest of the family looked scared.

Ten. I should burn the noses on this. They appeared to be sneering at something down the road.

Eleven. The construction traffic controller looked as if she were ready to throw the stop sign and dive under a passing limo.

I thought I did pretty good--

I probably should have posted in photo journalism, but even here in 'purdy pussies, puppies and people,' I thought the shots would get a few more comments than they have.

When I openned this thread I was expecting the usual stuff, the Bellagio fountain, MGM grand, and the rest of the hotels down the strip. Most of the people I know who have gone there always brings home those kinds of pictures. THey are all lovely to look at but I am glad to see LasVegas in a diffrent way. Your pictures tell a good story about how you saw it. Im not a gambler or a party loving kind of guy, Las Vegas doesn't apeal to me. But I like the shots you posted here.

When I openned this thread I was expecting the usual stuff, the Bellagio fountain, MGM grand, and the rest of the hotels down the strip. Most of the people I know who have gone there always brings home those kinds of pictures. THey are all lovely to look at but I am glad to see LasVegas in a diffrent way. Your pictures tell a good story about how you saw it. Im not a gambler or a party loving kind of guy, Las Vegas doesn't apeal to me. But I like the shots you posted here.

Thanks for getting it!-

I also like #9. A lot! The light, composition of the family...very nice!
The grainy look is a good idea, the only thing that comes to mind is that Vegas isn't really apparent in most of the pics. Of course, this series is called Las Vegas so it's all good, but a lot of them could have been taken anywhere. I think that's partly why I love #9; it has a hint of Vegas, but you're still showing your view.

pascal

abraxas, I feel exactly the same about that place.

I used to think it was cool back when I was younger, but now I cant find a reason to go there ? Everything is sooo inconvenient there. You have to walk 30 miles just to cross the darn street.

Interesting pics

I also like #9. A lot! The light, composition of the family...very nice!
The grainy look is a good idea, the only thing that comes to mind is that Vegas isn't really apparent in most of the pics. Of course, this series is called Las Vegas so it's all good, but a lot of them could have been taken anywhere. I think that's partly why I love #9; it has a hint of Vegas, but you're still showing your view.
pascal

Thanks. I didn't really think of that. I suppose any downtown area in a city is exotic to me but people shots would look like people shots to most people without some reference to the actual location.

abraxas, I feel exactly the same about that place.

I used to think it was cool back when I was younger, but now I cant find a reason to go there ? Everything is sooo inconvenient there. You have to walk 30 miles just to cross the darn street.

Interesting pics

Just about everything there is annoying to me. I'm not acclimated to the environment, and I prefer it like that. I have been having some fun though, mostly picking on old folks at the hotel we stay at in Henderson. If I see a couple walking in from the parking lot I wait and open the door for them- big smile. They say "thanks", I say, "hurry up."
-

I have to go out again in a month or so for some cool stuff but will be staying in town. I might try to work the grain thing again- have some good ideas.

Thanks!

Incredible shots! I've never been to Las Vegas, but if I do go, it will be to observe the vileness. But now, I can save myself a plane ticket and just come look at your photos. Thanks for posting these. Great work!

I figured you were going for the grain on purpose and you weren't trying to show Vegas in it's, uh, best light. :D

I'm not all that much into street photography, but these were interesting and I can see that these had some thought behind them. Nice job on another way to show what would normally be lights, color and glitz.

Mike

Most reactions

Back