Last of the light

Wally

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Taken just before it got really dark

tree.jpg

Comments welcome. And don't forget a week from Sat. is the Erie, PA get together

Thank you everyone! I converted it over to a nice B&W using my action, and then converted it over to a quadtone in Photoshop

Rapala46 said:
thats so sick.

I take it it is a compliment when you say so, Rapala?
(It doesn't sound like one, but you have said so before in another thread and with YOU it sounds like you mean something else... :scratch: )

For this is very nice... reminds me of the sunrise I photographed through the trees yesterday morning, only I left the colours there, since they were special. But if you say this was the last light of the day... how long was your exposure? Did you push the ISO?

And why do you call it a "quadtone"?
Have you shifted all the possible levels to achieve this toning?
(Aren't there only three?)

Sorry for my silly questions...

LaFoto said:
I take it it is a compliment when you say so, Rapala?
(It doesn't sound like one, but you have said so before in another thread and with YOU it sounds like you mean something else... :scratch: )

For this is very nice... reminds me of the sunrise I photographed through the trees yesterday morning, only I left the colours there, since they were special. But if you say this was the last light of the day... how long was your exposure? Did you push the ISO?

And why do you call it a "quadtone"?
Have you shifted all the possible levels to achieve this toning?
(Aren't there only three?)

Sorry for my silly questions...

Hi Lafoto. This was shot with a Canon 300D digital SLR @100 ISO. I have been playing quite a bit with the "merge to HDR" function in Photoshop CS2. And this is an HDR (high dynamic range) image. What you do for an HDR image is to take a series of shots (in this case 5) with the same focus, ISO and fstop and bracket the exposure times. This is very easy to do with the Canon. You do need a tripod of course. For this my 5 pictures were -2, -1, 0, +1, and +2 as far as the in camera meter went. So you get one picture that was dead on and two underexposed, and twoover exposed.

Then you open all 5 in Photoshop and do the merge. Photoshop reads the data from your file and blends them together into a 32 bit image. By doing it this way you do not have a blown out sky, but the foreground is bright enough to see the snow on the branches of the trees. I then took the color file (which really did not have much color since it was very cloudy that day) and converted it over to B&W.

The quadtone is another tool in Photoshop. Since photoshop is also a tool for graphic designers and printers, it has Duotones, Tritones, and Quadtones. This is so that you can print graphics on a 2,3, or 4 color ink printing press. So a quadtone is just an image with 4 colors that are blended together.

I have found that quadtones can create very good sepia toned images, as in this picture. The colors used are black, white, tan, and medium gray. The photoshop shop works it's magic and blends them together based on the lumenosity values of each pixel.

Wally said:
The photoshop shop works it's magic ....

Thank you sooooo much for this explanation.
What you say in your last sentence is what it sounds like to me.
I am setting a tentative foot into PS only just now, so all this sounds "miraculous" or "magic" to me :D.

But I think I'll print out your answer and save it and try things out like you described at some point in time! For the result shows that it may well be worth a try with "tricky" light situations and photos.

LaFoto said:
Thank you sooooo much for this explanation.
What you say in your last sentence is what it sounds like to me.
I am setting a tentative foot into PS only just now, so all this sounds "miraculous" or "magic" to me :D.

But I think I'll print out your answer and save it and try things out like you described at some point in time! For the result shows that it may well be worth a try with "tricky" light situations and photos.

You are quite welcome LaFoto!! I am in the process of putting together a new website, that will have lots of photoshop tips as well as some galleries. I will have a whole page on each of these methods. It should be up and running in late Dec. or early Jan. Now that it is very much winter here (we have about 40cm of snow here) it gives me something photography related to do until spring

Most reactions

New Topics

Back