Layer Masks???

Marctwo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.marctwo.co.uk
I've just started messing about with masks and I'm not sure I can do what I have in mind.

One thing I'd like to do is copy the red channel, for example, edit it and then use it as a mask. I've got no-where near this yet. Is it possible?

I'd also like to be able to paint on the mask with soft edges but the brush doesn't work??? I can use the pencil and blur (rubbish) or I can use dodge/burn. How else can I do this?

Can I paste an image into a mask? Well I obviously can't but is it possible?

First of all, what version of photoshop are you using?

Everything you've said should be possible. Edit the red channel, then select all, copy, and go back to your layers pallete. Make a mask on whatever layer you intend, hold alt, and click the mask. You are now "in the mask" and the pic will turn white. Paste away, and the contents of the red channel will be in the mask.

You should have no problem painting with a soft edged brush. Click the mask to highlight, and then select your paintbrush tool and appropriate brush, and start painting on the image.

Pasting an image into the mask works the same as what I described first. Alt+click on the mask and paste in.

Cheers Matt, I'm using CS.

Pasting works. :thumbup: I also discovered the two buttons at the bottom of the channels - 'Load channel as selection' and 'Save selection as channel'. :blushing:

The brush now works and all I had to do was turn the flow up from 1. :blushing:

I'm obviously having one of my stupid days. :lol:

Most reactions

Back