No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Hoping you can give me a hand.
I am using PS CS5, and was wondering how to take 2 photos that are identical, except that 1 is in colour and the other is B&W, and to layer them with the B & W in front, and for me then to "remove" the sections of B & W that I want the color to shine through.
Or is there an easier way to accomplish this with just a colour photo?
I am a total noob with PS.

Hi all,

Hoping you can give me a hand.
I am using PS CS5, and was wondering how to take 2 photos that are identical, except that 1 is in colour and the other is B&W, and to layer them with the B & W in front, and for me then to "remove" the sections of B & W that I want the color to shine through.
Or is there an easier way to accomplish this with just a colour photo?
I am a total noob with PS.

Oh there are a TON of ways to do this. I don't know where to begin. The easiest one for me to explain is to desaturate or add a b/w layer mask... then use the history brush to bring back the color in the spots you want. Selecting the selections you want colorized with the lasso tool then using the history brush would be more precise.

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately, I am lost. Are there any video tutorials that you know of that can explain this to me?

go to youtube and search selective coloring tutorial.

Thank you very much.
What do you think?
ChavionpathtoBreichatHameshushim.jpg

Try the adjustment with just her shirt with less saturation.

Crop it so the girl takes up more than 1/60th of the frame.

Obviously, the girl is the intended main subject (selective coloring and all).

add b&W layer...paint black on the mask where you want color to remain..easy and it will help you get used to the basics of masks.

I like the crop, but I agree with desaturating the clothes a bit. You could work with a layer mask and and a partially opaque brush to add a slight bit of the b&w over her clothes.

I know it's subjective but I usually hate those black and white color mixed photos. this one isn't bad.

there's a photographer around here that does blue jeans in color and leaves the rest of the person in black and white. I think this is horrible, the subject is not their blue jeans which is what it becomes.

this example is what I do sometimes.. one layer is bw, the other color. I then use opacity on the entire black and white layer to get a look I like.
comp1
you might try something similar with the background to give it a hint of color

Most reactions

New Topics

Back