Learning the hard way..... A set of senior pics from today. C&C very welcomed.

mrstravis said:
On some of the pics he has a shine under/on his chin, not sure if it's just me seeing it bc no one else mentioned it so take that with a grain of salt.

Reflection from his shirt.

MissCream said:
Reflection from his shirt.

Oh ok, I'm still learning, looked a little greasy. Sheepish grin.

Takes time, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out :)

Except for a slight halo around his right arm, this is a good edit. Exactly what i would have done. But maybe ever so slightly less on the brightening.

Yeah, your right. I was just trying to do a quick edit for illustration purposes. I did notice the halo before posting, but I was too lazy to fix it.*sigh*

Except for a slight halo around his right arm, this is a good edit. Exactly what i would have done. But maybe ever so slightly less on the brightening.

Yeah, your right. I was just trying to do a quick edit for illustration purposes. I did notice the halo before posting, but I was too lazy to fix it.*sigh*

Either way you got your point across, and I took it to heart. Spent a bit of time with the photos, and they are substantially better. Certainly not perfect, but I will feel much better handing a disc to Mom on Monday. Thanks!

Now after spending time cleaning up these photos, and cropping to common size (8x10 and 5x7) I have to say I have learned quite a bit from today. Hopefully I can make use of what I learned for next time, rather than just let the lesson atrophy in the back of my seldomly used brain.

Look at the faces.

#4 is most successful because the expression is relaxed and happy.
All the technical issues can be fixed.

facesz.jpg

Did you post your settings for these?

I think that would be a big help to see what you shot with and what your settings were. I think you need to stop down some, use a wider ap it seems as if your background is just as in focus as your subject.

Are you using flash?

Look at the faces.#4 is most successful because the expression is relaxed and happy.All the technical issues can be fixed.
facesz.jpg
I agree 100%.The kid really didn't want to be there, and the fact that Mom was there really ruined any chances of me being able to try and loosen him up. She seemed to make him uncomfortable. Adults I can deal with. It seems really easy for me to establish a rapport with them. I don't know how to get that with a kid who is a bit angsty with mom. He was easy to talk to, and an interesting kid, but try as I might, I couldn't find a way to get him to relax. I hope that I'm able to hone that skill over time, since it seems like a make it or break it kind of talent to have. Good new is that I got an email from Mom today, and she (in her words) "LOVES LOVES LOVES" all the pics.

Last edited:
Did you post your settings for these?I think that would be a big help to see what you shot with and what your settings were. I think you need to stop down some, use a wider ap it seems as if your background is just as in focus as your subject.Are you using flash?
My settings were generally around 1/125 and 1/250 at between f/4 and f/8. Given the time of day it would have been difficult for me to shoot much wider than that, and stay within my sync speed. It seems the sun was against me at every shot, that spiteful bastard....... I metered for the background, stopped down a bit, then used a SB-600 through an umbrella. I tried just using a reflector, but the sun was in a bad spot for every location. I'm sure I was just doing it wrong, but I did the best I could with the knowledge and equipment I had.

Also, this could have been substantially better if they could have met me at 6pm instead of 9 am, but they couldn't change their schedule.

All that being said, I am overall pretty happy with the set. Especially now that mom is thrilled.

Last edited:
Also for Seniors, I like them to bring a friend or two. It really does help them loosen up The friend gets them joking and laughing.... Keep mom/dad away.

Well, I got to work this morning and handed mom the CD with the "fixed" images on it using the advice I received in this thread. After looking at them she was so happy she was almost in tears. With that in mind I would call this a complete success. Thanks for all your responses. This truly is a never ending learning experience. I've come a long ways, but have a lot to learn.

Where are the props?

LOL JK. You did a good job. Some look a little too warm for my taste but thats fixable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back