legal forum?

Judge Sharpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sticky: I think that a discussion of legal issues would be a great addition to TPF. I support my photohabit by practicing law, and I have seen severl questions about the legality of things, and a lot of mis-information.
Now I am new to the board, but the photojounalism question below really stired me up. I am happy to try to help out with copyright trademark questions other questions such as trespass, privacy, piracy and contracts. But only if everyone remembers I will deal only in general terms and based on the laws here in the United States.

Judge Sharpe

I agree with Judge. There should be a forum for legal topics. My topic called "Major Journalism Question" has gotten several answers, but all of them (except judge's post) were thoughts. I think a topic for legal post would be a great idea.

So I agree! Start a legal topic, please!

Good idea, Judge. :thumbup:

Hmmm...should I trust someone whose profile occupation is listed as "attorney at lay" ......:confused:

Sounds like a great idea guys

Hmmm...should I trust someone whose profile occupation is listed as "attorney at lay" ......:confused:

:lol: LMAO... that's funny... but check this out...

The Lord's prayer: 66 words.
The 10 Commandments: 179 words.
The Gettysburg address: 286 words.
The Declaration of Independence: 1,300 words.
The US Government regulations on the sale of cabbage: 26,911 words.

Guess which one of those was written by attorneys? Attorneys, politicians - what's the difference? Oh, the Declaration of Independence wasn't written by politicians... it was penned by statesmen!

There are implications to this type of forum. Things like knowing we are not lawyers, and advice given on this forum. If there is a subforum that isn't moderated by someone with legal background, can TPF be held responsible for the actions it recommends?

The big problem too is law isn't international. Some of the basic arguments I see creeping up here every so often don't apply in Australia (a publicly accessible place is not public here and you're at the mercy of the owner).

The other thing is there are not a lot of things to know about this. It's not like the law is constantly changing or what not. Yeah many people try but most of the laws for instance Sydney's attempt to ban photography on Bondai Beach fell through because there's a Cwlth law governing it.

I really have not seen one discussion here which isn't answered by googling "photography rights" and clicking I'm feeling lucky.

Most reactions

Back