Legal or Illegal?

Been paying taxes for approximately 34 years. I can't remember ever having any control over where or how my tax dollars were spent. It's not new and it's not just recent.

Three words CASH CASH CASH!

Been paying taxes for approximately 34 years. I can't remember ever having any control over where or how my tax dollars were spent. It's not new and it's not just recent.

Well see there's the problem. Run for office then you'll have a choice, plus more friends and enemies then you can count.

Well see there's the problem. Run for office then you'll have a choice, plus more friends and enemies then you can count.

I can't. I inhaled once. :) Hmmm, but it was before camera phones. :triumphant: I may have a chance.

I can't. I enhaled once. :) Hmmm, but it was before camera phones. :triumphant: I may have a chance.

I can't believe that "once "

I can't. I enhaled once. :) Hmmm, but it was before camera phones. :triumphant: I may have a chance.

Yes, only once. And that's because someone bumped into me, or I slipped or something. :witless:

Excuses, excuses... lol

It seems to vary state to state, where I live you have to make a certain amount per year before you need to report/pay tax on it (which is why kids can cut grass or babysit or people can do a yard sale and probably not make enough to worry about it). I'd suggest you look at your state's website so you can make an informed decision.

One time a summer job I had for whatever reason hadn't withheld tax and I later had to pay the tax that hadn't been withheld (seemed to be a piddily amount but not piddly enough I guess). I don't think you'd want to end up with a lot of back taxes to pay, probably just as well to find out so you know.

If you think at some point you might want to make money with your photography you could start looking at business resources for photographers thru organizations like PPA or American Society of Media Photographers. If nothing else you'd know enough to be able to let your friends know there's more to it than they probably realize for you to be paid for your photography.

Yes, only once. And that's because someone bumped into me, or I slipped or something. :witless:

It's going to be interesting when that first person from Colorado runs for president:pimp:

I worked for a county agency, you should see it from that side of things! :congratulatory::048: Talk about nitpicky... but at least we were accountable for all the funding etc. All it took was a bunch of nincompoops from a different agency to be lax about their mileage reimbursement, then decide to go out golfing when they were supposed to be working - and then to have a TV crew following them around. :suspicious: Seems like it's always a handful of nitwits that mess things up and that's what we hear about, while most people are doing their jobs.

Uh-oh, I can't get that link to work... is a lightning bolt headed my way? lol I'm going to pay my taxes, really I am!

Last edited:
NOPE! Do it! :) Once you start making a lot more money or get into weddings (or just jobs that are super lucrative) I'd make your business a little more official but for now just do it under the table!

OP: I'm…ummm…a few years over 18 :lol: and have pretty much the same dilemma these days.

The first thing you have to decide is whether you WANT to be in the business of photography. If that's something you want to pursue, then I'd suggest you do RIGHT from the beginning--do your research, get a license AND insurance, and LEARN what is going to be required of you at tax time. There are a lot of resources that can help with that; others have listed some good links.

Or, like me, you may decide, you just want to DO photography. I want to be as GOOD as a "professional" (yeah, yeah, I know, "what's a pro?" Well, this is MY response, MY definition of pro, lol--and that means someone highly skilled), but at least right now, I do NOT want the hassle of running a business. The cons, for me, currently outweigh the pros of setting up a business. To be honest, that stance may change for me in the coming year or so, depending on how some things work out. But for now, I'm still good with being an amateur who produces quality work (well, I'm still aiming for that last part, but I've got the amateur part nailed).

To date, my approach has been to simply not take payment for "jobs" I do. Should the "client" insist--and yes, they so often DO--here's what I do:

1. I explain to them WHY I don't charge. I simply tell them what we're discussing here: "If I charge you, I become a professional. That means I gotta pay taxes on what I make. And get a license. And insurance. And backup equipment. Then I gotta do bookkeeping, and marketing. And that sounds like less fun than having all my teeth ripped out with a screwdriver, so how about you just let me have fun and take photos for you?"

2. If #1 doesn't work, then I suggest a barter. How about I take these photos for you, and YOU…give me a free meal, provide free admission to an event, etc.--whatever is appropriate for both you and the client.

3. If they STILL insist on paying you, take as little as possible. When you end up taking that money, then yes, you're faced with the dilemma "do I pay taxes on this?"
Well, legally, YES, you do. Whether you REPORT it or not is the decision you have to make. Honestly, if it's cash, and less than $500 or so, the CHANCES are that nobody is ever, ever going to know or care. How big a risk taker are you?
Me, I like my integrity. So, if I make money, I report it. So far, I've not made enough in a year to amount to anything, and so I've been able to simply report it in "miscellaneous income." I'm not sure what the upper limit of that is--I just know that every year, I ask "my accountant" (haha, I just like to SAY that! "MY accountant." Okay, I ask this friend of mine who is an accountant, but whom I do not pay for services…) whether the amount I made can be reported there and he says yes.

I put in age 19, and basically took no credits for anything or any year. Self employed and made less than 400. Single etc.

Result
Answers to Your General Filing Questions
Do I need to file a tax return for 2014?
You are not required to file a tax return for 2014
You should file a tax return for 2014

The return may generate a refund

Most reactions

New Topics

Back