Legal Ramifications and Logos

Sixx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what are the legal ramifications if i was to have a photo that contained a copywrighted logo. and could i legaly copywright it myself. could i sell it?

example what if i have a photo but in the backround there is a starbucks logo on it. or what if i have a In & Out soda cup in the forground with a logo. or what if it was a picture of a Slurpie from circle K what complications would i come across thanks

as an example

D3INOUT021.jpg

I think you're ok because the copyrighted logo is not the main subject of your photograph.
Even if it was i think you cold argue that you were creating a new image/piece of art since you're not copying the logo for business purposes.

An example would be a photo of a scuplture or copyrighted building - an image would be a new creation and would be copyrighted itself rather than breaking copyright laws.
Taking a photo of a painting in a gallery/museum may not be permitted, but it isn't against copyright law.

If you plan to sell for stock agencies, forget it... It will never be accepted.

If the objective is to sell as art photography, it might not be a problem, as darich said, as long as it's not the main subject of your picture.

And by the way, you don't have to copyright anything by yourself. When you press the shutter, that new image is automatically copyrighted by you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back