Lens Advice...

Muay_Thai_Dan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So im looking towards buying a Canon XSI, but i need help with buying a good starter lens. I want something with decently wide angle, and a decent zoom. My budget is $750, but by all means, it doesn't meant that the lens should cost that much if it doesn't have to. if there is a good lens for my needs that costs less, then let me know.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

-Dan

I just bought the same camera - and my budget was about the same, so I was pretty much stuck with the kit Canon 18-55 lens. So far I love it for wide angle work, but I find the zoom definitely lacking. But, for the price, I'd recommend it. It's good to start with anyway, and you can buy a lens to compliment it later (28-135 or 70-200 maybe?) That's my plan.

As far as a bigger zoom, for $750 you may have trouble. After all, you're going to want some accessories to preserve your investment - a bag, cleaning materials, etc. Plus, I'd personally prefer the Canon lenses as opposed to 3rd party lenses (based on reviews I've read and suggestions from friends,) but you do pay for the name.

Just my thoughts... and what do I know. :wink:

if you ask my opinion ,
get Tamron 17-50 2.8 as first lens , F2.8 is one of the most important things in main lens ,
second lens trying looking for 70-200 F4 used condition , they are cheap right now

The Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM is a nice walk around lens. Its got a decent focal range, pretty light, decent optics and is around $500 from b&h. You can use the other 250 for the Canon 430EX flash or more memory, filters, bag and other accessories.

Nick

You may also want to try the 18-200. Canon just released it and its $700 and should really cover the entire most commonly used range. I bet it wont have as sharp and good image as using multiple more specific range lenses but for an all around lens its got a great range and fits in your budget. You should try to test them all out in a local camera shop and see for yourself. Good luck deciding, let us know what you ended up going with.

Nick

Most reactions

Back