Lens / Cheyenne Frontier Days

Festus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello All,

I will be attending Cheyenne Frontier Days for the first time this year. I am mainly interested in taking photos of the rodeo action as opposed to the other items of interest going on at the same time.

I have a Canon 7D camera and a Canon 70mm-200mm lens. I have been granted limited photo credentials and hope this means I can access areas where I won't have to shoot over the crowd. (Cheyenne has told me access to their photo pit may be possible, but not guaranteed, so I'm hoping their are other areas for photographers as well.) I'm hoping someone in the forum has already photographed the rodeo at Cheyenne Frontier Days and can answer my question:

In your opinion will I need a lens with more telephoto than my 70mm-200mm? Having been to a couple of other rodeo arenas that are extra-large like Cheyenne's, I'm assuming I will. What lens would you recommend?

If you have been to Cheyenne and have any tips or ideas on equipment or anything else I would appreciate it. Thank you.

I think you would find 200mm a bit short for some shots. I'd see if you can borrow/rent something more in the 300mm range.

Most reactions

Back