Lens Extender

dogtrainer4god

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, this is sort of a newby question, but here goes - I was looking at getting the 100-400 zoom lens in order to get long distance shots of my dogs. I was talking to a photography pro tho, and he recommended that I get a lens ext for my 70-200 L 4.0 lens. I dont even know if extender is the right name for it, but it serves the purpose. I basically need it to add onto my current lens so I can shoot at long range without having to buy the 100-400. Do you know what he may have been referencing?

appreciate any help!

He must have meant teleconverter. For what you want, Canon 1.4x EF Extender III will work well. Note however that the f-stop will drop to 5.6, which reduces light, increases depth of field, and may cause focusing issues (at least on some cameras). There is also a 2x version, but that will reduce it even further to 8, after which many cameras will bail out on focusing.

Welcome aboard.

Yes, it sounds like he was talking about teleconverters. They go between the lens and the camera and increase the effective focal length. As mentioned, Canon makes two models, the 1.4x and the 2x. They are only listed as compatible with certain Canon lenses, I'm not sure about the 70-200mm F4.
The main reason they aren't meant for most lenses, is that they reduce the effective max aperture, which can cause the AF to fail.
They also reduce image quality compared to the lens without it...but the Canon TCs are really good and you don't loose much.

It's a tough choice. The 100-400mm is a beast of a lens and thus not all that convenient, but the image quality is outstanding. But in terms of a versatile kit in your bag, a 70-200mm with a TC is hard to beat.

If you had the F2.8 version of the 70-200mm, I'd be a lot more ready to recommend the TC. But as you have the F4, the 100-400mm might be a better choice. (or maybe sell the F4, get the F2.8 and the TC).

The 70-200 2.8 II with 2x III is approximately equal to the 100-400 in image quality, but you can always take that TC off for the best lens in Canon's lineup.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back