Lens... Fast... Cheapest

Lynnzora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I just got my 50mm 1.4 I like it a lot. I like how it gets a pretty sharp images and blurs the rest out. However I noticed that if Im taking a picture of two people or a larger area that it only really focuses on one person or one small ar.ea. I've been looking in the manual... How would you open up the focus to focus on more than just a tiny area.??

Also I now have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 50mm 1.4...

I'm looking for a faster lens. I notice with those lenses that the pictures are still blurry when someone is moving... I'm looking to take pictures as the second photographer at my brother's wedding AND I would like to take some other action photos. Any suggestions on what lens I should get? I don't have a lot of money for a lens right now... I'm actually for the fastest and best quality that I can get at the lowest price right now...?

If I remember correctly, and if not I hope someone corrects me, but what you can do for the blurry background when you don't want it to be would to close the Aperature on the lens. This in turn will make the shutter speed longer allowing formore light to hit the sensor.

Is that correct gang?

Are you referring to the Auto Focus sensors in the Camera ... or are you asking how to increase the Depth of Field to get more foreground and background objects in focus ?

The first deals with your camera AF sensor settings.

The second is achieved by stopping down your aperture ... if you shoot at f/1.4 you will have the shallowest DoF ... if you shoot at f/22 you will get a greater focus range or DoF.

Your one person focussed is down to the limited DOF, either move further away from the subject or close down the lens, you cant focus on two things at once especially if one is further from you than the focused subject, you can utilize the hyperfocal distance but thats something for you to google, research is your friend. H

Are you referring to the Auto Focus sensors in the Camera ... or are you asking how to increase the Depth of Field to get more foreground and background objects in focus ?

The first deals with your camera AF sensor settings.

The second is achieved by stopping down your aperture ... if you shoot at f/1.4 you will have the shallowest DoF ... if you shoot at f/22 you will get a greater focus range or DoF.

Ok thank. I was talking about the second one... Increasing the Depth of Field to get more background objects in focus.... So lower the aperture or back up a little further... I'll try it.

Any suggestions on a faster lens... The best I can get for a low price... for weddings and action shots...?

What is you budget for another lens? I would think a mid range,
55-200/2.8

The only lens faster than 1.4 is the 1.2 and its not going to make enough difference.
If you are getting blurry images with the 1.4 you're in the dark.

I'm looking for a faster lens. I notice with those lenses that the pictures are still blurry when someone is moving... I'm looking to take pictures as the second photographer at my brother's wedding AND I would like to take some other action photos. Any suggestions on what lens I should get? I don't have a lot of money for a lens right now... I'm actually for the fastest and best quality that I can get at the lowest price right now...?

The DOF question was answered so I'll try the fast lens. The 50 1.4 you have is really fast. But to stop the blurriness when someone is moving means having to use a faster shutter speed, or a flash to freeze the motion.
When referring to a fast lens means large aperture. And the 1.4 is quite large.

Faster than the 50mm f/1.4 ??

At what focal length ?

Hummm I get what you're saying... That's fast right... I was taking pics of my son in his swing and it all came out blury... As well as pictures of my husband walking... Are you saying that the 50mm f 1.4 lens would work with the wedding and action shots...

What is you budget for another lens? I would think a mid range,
55-200/2.8

Maybe $200... a little more??? I know that's not much to work with but at least for now that's what I can afford. I'll invest more in something else later. Right now I'm looking for a fast len... no motion blur...

What camera are you using?

Pentax K20d

What ISO are you using?

Most reactions

Back