Lens Filter

I don't use a filter, unless it's designed for a specific purpose... i.e. ND, polarization, gradient etc... but even then, I can count the number of times a filter hits one of my lenses per year on one hand.

Not disagreeing with you just looking at some photography at a different angle.
I photography fine furniture, pool cues, and sometimes its hard to see the wood through the glass like finish.
Almost all of my product photography I use a technic called cross polarization.

This is where you put linear polarized film over your soft boxes and a CPL on your lens .

This technic is used to filter out the electromagnetic polarized waves .
Because when polarized light strikes all non metallic smooth surfaces it creates polarized reflection. ( glare )

From my point of view the only reason to use a UV filter would be to minimize reflection. ( white out )
The big problem is normally the majority of reflection ( Glare white out )
is caused by polarized light and UV reflection make up a very small part of glare or reflection.

That seems like an incredibly viable option for studio work! I will have to remember that.

I don't use a filter, unless it's designed for a specific purpose... i.e. ND, polarization, gradient etc... but even then, I can count the number of times a filter hits one of my lenses per year on one hand.

Not disagreeing with you just looking at some photography at a different angle.
I photography fine furniture, pool cues, and sometimes its hard to see the wood through the glass like finish.
Almost all of my product photography I use a technic called cross polarization.

This is where you put linear polarized film over your soft boxes and a CPL on your lens .

This technic is used to filter out the electromagnetic polarized waves .
Because when polarized light strikes all non metallic smooth surfaces it creates polarized reflection. ( glare )

From my point of view the only reason to use a UV filter would be to minimize reflection. ( white out )
The big problem is normally the majority of reflection ( Glare white out )
is caused by polarized light and UV reflection make up a very small part of glare or reflection.

That seems like an incredibly viable option for studio work! I will have to remember that.

Glare or white out is easy to see ...
Polarized light is not easy to see but easy to be trained to the point you will know if the light you are working with is polarized or not.

Light becomes polarized or partially polarized when its
Emitted ( as in florescent lighting )
Reflected Anything that reflects light causes light to become polarized .
Refracted ( light passing through glass , water clear plastic )
Or scattered ( clouds. soft boxes, lite tents fabric ) , anything light will pass through.

Normally on a clear sunny day the suns light is not polarized but if you are getting bounce the light that is being reflected onto the subject is polarized or electromagnetic polarized waves ..

Most reactions

Back