I use 'Protective Filters' on all my lenses as opposed to a UV filter. Years ago, I performed a filter test with a Canon 1DsMKII. I shot the same scene with a cheap filter, an expensive filter and no filter. At 100% there was no significant difference between any of the images. The 1DsMKII has a 16mp sensor. I haven't repeated the test with a higher MP camera.
If I shot in a controlled environment, I wouldn't use protective filters. But I don't, I shoot in the great outdoors, in all conditions and I don't like the fear of bruising a camera stand between me and the the shot I desire. There is more to screwing up a front element/lens than a violent hit. There are airborne abrasives, chemicals, grease, liquids, et al. All kinds of stuff that could potentially be harmful. Many manufacturers of weather-sealed lenses state that to properly weather-seal the lens you need to use a protective filter. I also strongly recommend to use a hood to reduce flare, increase contrast, adds additional protection and the right hood make the camera/len look a lot sexier. Hoods are designed to match specific lenses, so do your research.
Having personally lost a few protective filters and a lens or two, I am probably a bit on the paranoid side of this argument. But I think a high end Protective Filter is pretty cheap insurance. The difference in filter pricing generally reflects the coatings, the greater the price the more coatings. More coatings lessen the propensity of lens flaring and ghosting, but does not eliminate that side effect. When that does occur, I either reposition the camera or remove the filter.
While it was pointed out earlier that the lens you have is relatively cheap, I think the greater price you may pay comes in the form of missing shots, rather than replacing a lens.
I also believe in Murphy ... I know that sooner or later one of my unprotected lens would get screwed up ... so for me it is cheap insurance and to keep Murphy at bay. (I guess that's redundant.)