Lens Filters....help?

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
52MM Color Lens Filter Kit 5 Pcs for Nikon D40 D50 D40X - eBay (item 180471620244 end time Feb-20-10 11:15:15 PST)

I keep seeing these all over and I've asked about them. I want to get some---not sure exactly what they do lol but I read they have nice effects on the colors---like blue filter (for water and clouds-sky etc)....orange or red for fall leaves...

Is that true? If so is it one size fits most?

If they actually do something that is noticeable and the quality of the pics isn't screwed----why not?

Does anyone use these??? *color filters , or Micro filters.?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use color filters for film photography, and only for black and white. That may sound counter productive, but for instance, orange and red will increase contrast in black and white shots. I can't say I've ever used them for color photography, or with my digital shots. Either way, (I'm sure there is going to be better advice) you may want to experiment with them. Just make sure that the filter will fit your lens. For example, I have to buy 72mm for my kit lens, and 58mm filters for another lens that I have. The size is usually marked on the front of the lens its self (at least for Canon lenses). If not, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't be, here's a chart of Nikkor lenses and their filter sizes. eBay Store - Nikon NIKKOR Lens Chart: Nikon Manual Focus Lens, Nikon Auto Focus Lens, Plumtree Photo

this set of filters fit a 52mm lens so unless your lens is this size they won't fit.

on another note, with digital it is unusally to use any of these as changes can be made with post processing.

you may try finding a circular polarizer as it can increase saturation and help with glare.

so if the filter says 72mm, or 55mm..... And I have a 18-55mm, and a 50-200mm they won't fit unless the lens is exactly that MM?

It is not the focal length. i.e. The filter size of your 18-55mm lens is 52mm

On Nikon lenses the filter size each lens needs is written on the front of the lens, usually the underside, and looks like Ø 52. The symbol means "Diameter".

Seriously - if you don't know the diameter of your lens, don't buy a filter - YET!

Learn your camera first! Test out your limitations. Once you can handle your hardware you know at least how the filters you use actually alter your images.

At this point you'll slap on the filters and have no clue later why an image looked a certain way. Was it the white balance? Was it the exposure time?

Learn your camera first. No need to hurry with this.

Seriously - if you don't know the diameter of your lens, don't buy a filter - YET!

Learn your camera first! Test out your limitations. Once you can handle your hardware you know at least how the filters you use actually alter your images.

At this point you'll slap on the filters and have no clue later why an image looked a certain way. Was it the white balance? Was it the exposure time?

Learn your camera first. No need to hurry with this.

Good point. Thank you :)

You have a D5000. Your filter size is 52mm.

And as filters go, buy reputable brands. I bought a Hoya CP (Circularizing Polarizer) for my D3000 and it ran me about 50 bucks. Seems expensive for such a small piece, but with the filters, often times price directly reflects how good the filter really is.

Really, with Digital, a CP is all thats necessary. I still havent gotten the hang of mine, but I have only used it twice now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back