Lens Flare :@

Reading this makes me almost want to take off my UV filter . . . but i just dont want to scratch my lense

i've never used a uv filter in the year and a half i've been shooting and all my lenses are in prefect condition

I agree, the UV filter was almost certainly your problem. I once used a polarizing filter in a situation similar to this, and was horrified that pretty much every one of my photos had this ghosting (although some of them looked good with it). In general, when you're shooting into the sun or an otherwise strong light source, NEVER use filters. Even if you have top-of-the-range multicoated filters, they'll still have more flare than if you didn't have a filter on at all (although whether it's noticable or not is another matter). Also, if you find yourself getting flare when you're not aiming at the sun, this means that light is entering your lens at a funny angle, bouncing off the elements in the lens, and creating ghosting. If this happens, attach a lens hood to the camera. If you don't have a hood, a hand almost works as well :D.

I dont have a good uv filter i just got onje so i wouldnt get any scratches.
It was like the basic filter from Black's ( Optex 52mm 1a) it was like 15.00.
which would you suggest that would help reduce this type of lens flare?( Keep in mind im just a begginer and im young so i dont have all the money in the world).:lol:
p.s thanks to all for there interest and help so far.
--------------------------------
Nikon D40

Over time, I learned to not use uv filters. It's like covering your furniture in those plastic covers to preserve them. Yes, it makes your furniture last longer, but it's really uncomfortable to sit on.

I prefer to risk it, if it means I'll get technically better shots. I mean, why would I pay all this money for a fancy lens and then gimp the quality with an extra piece of glass on the front. And besides, a chip in the glass is awful, but not that awful; depending on the size of it, it doesn't affect the photograph that much.

How often do you scratch your UV filter? Of what quality is it?

well several times i have noticed that i rubbed the lense against stuff and thought "oh no!" but then realized the UV filter was on it... i am not sure what quality it is of. i got my d40 on eBay and the UV filter came with it. i will check what it says...

Most reactions

Back