Lens for Canon 5D Mark II

By the "50mm lens is not very versatile", you mean the "50mm lens is one of the most versatile and best walkaround lens on a full frame body" right?

An incredibly subjective statement. I find 50 (equiv) fairly useless - less than 1% of my keepers at at ~50 (even if I call it 40-60 it wouldn't be more than ~2%).

You are not on a full frame body.

I am. I gave a 50 away. It's just blah. The 24-70 is definitely a more versatile lens. You lose a little bit on the maximum aperture but with a full frame camera, the high ISO performance can more than make up for that and having a zoom that goes from semi wide to 70mm is just so much better than being stuck at blah ol' 50mm.

Thank you all for your comments.

Just to clarify, I didn't say that I disliked the 50mm. I actually really like it but I take photos at children's birthday parties and I found it difficult to be running around taking good shots with the 50mm since it was either too zoomed or not zoomed enough. I love the depth of field on the 50mm and use it all the time, I just needed another lens because I couldn't rely on the 50 for all situations.

I actually just purchased the 24-70L today and am excited to start using it. I think it will be a great versatile lens!

Thank you all again for your input!

www.MonicaBlancoPhotography.com

35L

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments.

Just to clarify, I didn't say that I disliked the 50mm. I actually really like it but I take photos at children's birthday parties and I found it difficult to be running around taking good shots with the 50mm since it was either too zoomed or not zoomed enough. I love the depth of field on the 50mm and use it all the time, I just needed another lens because I couldn't rely on the 50 for all situations.

I actually just purchased the 24-70L today and am excited to start using it. I think it will be a great versatile lens!

Thank you all again for your input!

www.MonicaBlancoPhotography.com

That or the 17-40 are generally what's on my camera.

Also, you don't have to type your website into the bottom of every post. It's in your signature and some people may take you for a spammer...because that's what spammers generally do, except for websites selling fish tacos or bungee cords...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back