PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a D90 and the following lenses:

Sigma 18-250 (will auto focus on the D60)
Nikon 50mm (will not auto focus on the D60)
Nikon 35-70 (will not auto focus on the D60)

I want this to be a compact kit so I'm leaning toward either a kit lens type of zoom or the Nikon 35 f/1.8G.

After thinking about it more I'm starting to lean toward a fast kit lens range, like a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 or something like that or selling the Nikon 35-70 and getting a lens to replace it with the auto focus motor built in.

Just curious what others opinions are and if you have a similar setup, what you do.

Thanks!

I do not want to know why someone who already owns the very capable Nikon D90 would downgrade. Put the Sigma 18-250 on the D60. Keep your better quality lenses on the D90 to maintain good image quality.

"I want this to be a compact kit"

I had a D40 and sold it when I got the D90 and regretted it ever since. I really liked having the small setup around the house, it was convenient plus my wife enjoyed using it. The D90 is too big for her liking.

And yes, I had the 35mm but I traded it for the 35-70 when I got the D90 (more range).

I'm keeping my D90, I love that camera!

Last week I tried the point and shoot method thinking I could get by with that, but I can't - I'm spoiled by SLR's.

The lack of AF on the Nikkor 50/1.8 isn't much of a problem really...it manually focuses better and more-reliably than Canon's 50 1.8 EF-II,which is infamous for missing focus, plus being extremely loud,slow,and grindy.

The 35-70 f/2.8 AF-D is a very high-quality zoom lens that, if you had a FF body,would probably once again become what is actually IS on FF< which is a semi-wide, normal, and short telephoto lens with very high build quality and very high optical quality....Canon would have specified the 35-70 f/2.8 AF-D as an L lens based on construction quality, but since it's a Nikon and it was a heavy,expensive f/2.8 lens, it was the lens's optics that tipped users that it was a professionally-capable lens. (I am assuming you mean the 35-70 2.8,and not the small,light,average 35-70 f/3.3~4.5 sold for so,so many years.)

I'm not sure about the D60 and the Sigma 18-250 and why anybody would make long-term decisions based on those pieces of kit. Within two years, it's possible that FF will be cheaper than it is now. SONY might be pushing the price of FF down substantially,any day now, just as an aside, with the A850 model. I'd try and decide where my needs were being met or not me by the D90; the few ounces you save by going to a D60 will be lost once you decide to buy decent glass for it, and the size and weight savings of a D60 will be nullified,instantly, the second it's paired with even a speedlight on top, or a heavier-weight lens.

Yes, the 35-70 f/2.8 is what I have - excellent glass, I agree.

The D60 I'd like to be nice and compact, lightweight and 'ready' at all times around the house, sitting on a counter, etc. That's why I'm thinking of those lenses, from what i've read the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is lightweight and has a version with the internal focus motor as well, that may be an option.

Otherwise I'd be happy finding a Nikon or Sigma around the 18-55 range for this use. Those can be had for about $100 in new condition if not new. I really liked the speed of the 35mm, and around the house it was a pretty handy lens.

I don't have any need to go full frame, I enjoy having a crop body personally. I've also sold my two SB-600's since I always used and preferred my SB-400 anyway.

Like I said, I had a D40 prior to a D80, D200 and now my D90 and I really liked having it around - selling it was a mistake so I bought a D60 to replace it.

Not trying to justify my decision here, I'd just like some input on lightweight and compact lens choices for a D60. :)

Thanks everyone!

I went with the 18-55 VR lens, it will be the best all around match for what I'm looking for.

I still plan to sell the Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 and replace it with a similar lens with an internal focus motor however.

I have the sigma 18-50mm F2.8. its a great fast lens. heavy though. but awesome =]

I second the Sigma 18-50. It has rarely left my D40 since I purchased it. I guess it is a bit heavy, but I was excited to get it, so I didn't care at first. And now, having it on for so long, I don't know any different.

Wish I would have seen this earlier I run the Tamron 28-75 2.8 on my d60 and I love it great all around lens........

Bigpopa,
I still hope to get that lens if I can sell my Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 - good to hear you like it!

I 'love' the Nikon 35-70 but it would be great to have a similar lens that works on all my bodies.

Yep, but the D50 is bigger - which would make getting the second body pointless since I wanted something compact.

I did think about a d50 or D70, but in the end I really wanted the D40 or D60 and knew the 'consequences' of that decision.

Most reactions

Back