SM11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like your advice on the best lens to purchase for my GH3 to do mainly professional portraits (and bokeh effect), but also nice events photos--I know this seems a bit general but I am on a budget so I prefer to get only one lens for now. Currently I have the one I purchased the camera with:
Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 Lens Video Test (Filmed it with GH3).

Thanks in advance,
SM

photo1x1.com

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo1x1.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Since the GH3 has a rather small sensor and with it a relatively big depth of focus, you need to get the telephoto lens with the smallest f-stop you can afford to achieve the needed separation (blurred background). Zuiko 45mm f1.2 would be my suggestion, but it´s pricey. Take a look at sample shots in the web to see if that fits your needs.

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I agree the Oly 45mm f1.2 would be ideal but you can also use the 45mm f1.8 which is cheaper but still a really nice lens. Also another, that may be pricey for you, is the 75mm f1.8 which is a phenomenal lens, one of Oly's best, and does amazing portraits.

OP
S

SM11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Thank you both! Great start for me to research.
SM

OP
S

SM11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Throwing in another sub-question. Would you recommend I consider used off Ebay or something similar? I am not experienced in used so I feel might be risky.
Thanks.

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Throwing in another sub-question. Would you recommend I consider used off Ebay or something similar? I am not experienced in used so I feel might be risky.
Thanks.

Nothing wrong with used. If from eBay make sure its from a reputable seller. Also check BHPhoto, KEH and Olympus for used/refurbs. The refurbs from Olympus seem to be very popular.

OP
S

SM11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Thanks.

Nothing wrong with used. If from eBay make sure its from a reputable seller. Also check BHPhoto, KEH and Olympus for used/refurbs. The refurbs from Olympus seem to be very popular.

Thanks, I will check all these.
SM

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Kirk Tuck has a very good blog on the web. He is in Austin Texas based professional photographer and he noted that the 45 mm lens on the camera is excellent for both a semi wide and a short tele look,depending on the camera to subject distance. On the other hand in my view the 75 mm lens is strictly a telephoto. Check out Tuck's blog.

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
@SM11 , not sure if you made a decision yet, but take a look at some of the links below. These threads show example pictures from people ranging from beginners to pros. Really, really helpful. That site has images for a variety of lenses (both native to the MFT and adapted lenses), so take a look through.

I'm also going to provide a link to that site's photo theme of portraits. Subject separation and DOF are absolutely possible on MFT cameras (despite the rhetoric you may hear and read around the internet).

Showcase - Olympus 45mm f/1.8
Showcase - Olympus 75mm f/1.8

Portraits only Thread -Share yours please

Last edited:
OP
S

SM11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Thank you both! I have not decided yet. I am not in a rush now. As long as I started the research process going I am good. Most events at my work start in the fall. I will sure look at those links and the blog and consider the options.

Cheers,
Sm

Most reactions

New Topics