Lens for landscapes on backpacking trip

vtwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,
In one months time I will be stepping off on a five day trip on part of the John Muir Trail (Mammoth to Yosemite). I plan on making space for my d3100 and a maximum of two lenses as well as keeping a nice point and shoot or mirror less interchangeable lens camera. My idea is to use the point and shoot to shoot things along the trail and my DSLR for landscapes. I'm thinking about bringing my 50mm and possibly buying a 10-24. With that said do you folks think a 50 and 10-24 would suffice or do I have this all wrong? I don't have the worlds biggest budget but this is a once in a life time trip to me and will pay for quality lenses. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Thank you!

P.s. if I have this in the wrong section or it would be better somewhere else let me know.

Hum...I'm thinking 18-200 and 10-24/12-24.

You can always rent glass for 6 days as well if you don't have the coin for it.

If it's only for occasional use then as mentioned borrowing or renting is an option.

Due to budget and occassional need for ultra wide went with the older Sigma 10-20.
Pretty good performer for it's price as picked mine up used for $300.

Just back from a Camping/Hiking trip with using it.
Trillium Lake 2013 Set.

And the Sigma 10-20 was used quite a bit.

Dark Woods & Stars by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Mt. Hood Sunset 3 of 3 by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Just comes down to Budget and How much you think you will use it to justify the cost. And the Nikon 10-24 is a great lens if you can afford it.

Wow! Great pictures! I guess i should have stated that i am still looking to build my kit and there is a good chance that what ever lens i buy will see a good ammount of use as im up in the high sierra's quite a bit (fishing is pretty darn good up there). So i could justify purchasing the lens, given that im not spending more than lets say $1200.

If it's only for occasional use then as mentioned borrowing or renting is an option.

Due to budget and occassional need for ultra wide went with the older Sigma 10-20.
Pretty good performer for it's price as picked mine up used for $300.

Just back from a Camping/Hiking trip with using it.
Trillium Lake 2013 Set.

And the Sigma 10-20 was used quite a bit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/8964095848/
Dark Woods & Stars by Orbmiser, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/8981407356/
Mt. Hood Sunset 3 of 3 by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Just comes down to Budget and How much you think you will use it to justify the cost. And the Nikon 10-24 is a great lens if you can afford it.

Love the second photo.

Thanks for the kind words. And yep by all means if budget isn't a concern then get the Nikon.
As an Utlra-Wide has more uses than just Landscapes.

Rainy Day - PDX by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Absract Down 7 Along the Green line by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Good Luck and think you will be pleased with it. Just remember ultra-wides take a bit more thought and being more careful taking the pics due to their ultra-wide and tendency to easily distort if camera is tilted. More attention required to what to include in foreground and generally shooting at lower height as an option to take advantage of them.

Well my decision was made easy by the fact that my shop sold out of the nikkor 10-24. They did have the sigma at a reasonable price ($375). Guess I will start a new body slush fund so I can finally get into hdr. Thanks again everyone.

If I'm having to hump my gear for 5 days, I'm definitely leaving the Nikon at home... not even taking the GH* body... it's gonna be the LX5 in a pocket and the GF* w/ a 20 mounted, and the 7-14 and the 14-140 packed. Maybe a small tripod. and several cards and a couple batteries.

Im going lighter on cloths and bring sharing the load on a tent so that gives me more room for food and a camera. Ive also been training for months to be able to carry more weight than I intend on bringing. I think I will be ok with my 3200.

If you can pack it then good on you :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back