Lens for the NOOB...

PolarRoids

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at getting a few lenses ... and am NOT against shoping craigslist for use equipment.

I have a Sony A300.. so I am trying to see what older Minolta AF lenses maybe a good find.

I want a nice ZOOM.. where I can reach out and touch someone... Low light *event shooting* as well as outdoor daytime.

Id like a nice Macro for zooming up a bee's butt from time to time.

=-

I have two lenses I am considering buying.. 80 bucks for both..

AF xi 100x300mm 4.5-5.6
AF 35x105mm 3.5-4.5

Pull the trigger? Or are their better options??

At $80 for both, it should be a very good and safe purchase for a total beginner. This will get you a WIDE range of focal lengths with almost no investment that you can use and learn with that will help you decide what is useful for you and your style of photography. In the mean time, you can be saving for the nice lenses that fall within your shooting preferences that you've developed. The only problem may be on the wide end. You might find yourself wanting a wider FoV from time to time.

The 70-210mm 4.0 or Beercan as it is called is a stellar lens that can be had very cheap. Look on ebay make sure it is the 4.0 as some state it is but isn't.

Neither is any good for low light event shooting. For that you're going to need a constant f/2.8 zoom. Not going to be had for $80, but at that price? I'd probably buy them anyway.

yeah, the lenses you listed above are all garbage. Good for a beginner in daylight but those are worthless in low light.

Now the f4 beercan that cosmo suggested is a pretty decent lens for the price but only being f4 still not stellar performance in low light.

I would recommend a Minolta maxxum 50mm f1.7. It was the first prime I bought and can be picked up for $100 or less easily. Good solid lens.

You can also get old m42/screw mount lens cheap. You just need a $2 adapter and your good to go. A 135mm f2.8 would be good to start with. But m42 lenses are only manual focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back