Lens Hood vs Filter

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of buying a lens hood instead of a protective filter for my lens.
Both for the purpose of protecting my lens.

What are your thoughts on this ?

I'm hesitating cause a lens hood is kind of bulky but it does more than a simple protecting filter.

Also lens shades seems less expensive than filter..

Thanks in advance for your input.

well... if you get a lens hood you can go with whatever you can find that is the cheapest... while with a filter you will have to watch quality of the glass so it doesnt downgrade your IQ too much if at all.

as far as protection goes... I would say the filter would win for a few reasons... spill a drink, the filter will keep it off the front element (not to say it wont ruin the rest of the lens of camera tho!) the filter will also prevent scratches on the lens from lets say sticks on trees where as the hood would only protect things from the sides. its really your call. I personally have looked into both options and I picked a filter because you can get a filter that has an effect on the camera while protecting it.

Get the hood. The hood will reduce flare, the filter will increase it (and badly if it's not a good multi-coated one).

well... if you get a lens hood you can go with whatever you can find that is the cheapest... while with a filter you will have to watch quality of the glass so it doesnt downgrade your IQ too much if at all.

as far as protection goes... I would say the filter would win for a few reasons... spill a drink, the filter will keep it off the front element (not to say it wont ruin the rest of the lens of camera tho!) the filter will also prevent scratches on the lens from lets say sticks on trees where as the hood would only protect things from the sides. its really your call. I personally have looked into both options and I picked a filter because you can get a filter that has an effect on the camera while protecting it.

Eh? Hoods are designed specifically for each lens. Using off-brand hoods or whatever you can find and slapping it on will risk serious vignetting.

The front element is one of the absolute cheapest parts of a lens to replace. With a filter, that extra gap of air may reduce image quality, regardless of how spectacularly awesome it is.

still the name brand hoods are not bank breaking like a filter can be lol I dont think i have seen a hood that was more than ~$60 (I am sure there are some out there tho)
pedal shaped ones should also reduce vignetting?

Well, the primary function of the hood is for blocking stray light from hitting the front lens element.

And a Filter ... it is a for filtering light. They were designed for different application.

And neither were really designed for protection, but in my experience, it's the hood that gets bashed first, not the front element. If anything knocks my lenses, it tends to be coming at it sideways. :-/

CW Jones: Regarding petal vs. round hoods, look here.

As for the cost of hoods, that depends on the lens it's for. If it's a fairly common lens, then the hoods are probably mass produced, and easily. Those can be had on the cheap. However, if you're talking a really special lens (an EF 500mm L, say), then the hood probably needs to be custom made if you need a replacement, and that can cost a lot of money (I've heard something in the range of several hundred dollars).

I wouldn't trust it. I've seen other photogs with similar hoods and they've occasionally forgotten to push them back over the lens while we're out shooting and gotten some real bad vignetting. Sure it's cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

I hate filters and only use them when necessary (neutral density filter for example). I wouldn't use a filter for 'protection', I'd use it for its intended purpose.

I was thinking about this hood
Optex 58MM Rubber Lens Hood

It's 58mm so it would fit my 18-55 and 55-250

What do you guys think about this one.
I'm really leaning towards a hood more than the filter now.

Hoods ALWAYS!!!

Filter only when the conditions call for it.

Those Optex hoods. Worthless for protection.

Only practical uses are to provide access to a CPL filter or when required at certain sporting venues for player protection / not lens protection when shooting on the sidelines or court side. Otherwise they provide little real protection. The OEM usually is not that expensive relative to the lens cost and are desiged for the lens for both the physical protection of the lens and the best stray light protection for that lens.

I hate filters and only use them when necessary (neutral density filter for example). I wouldn't use a filter for 'protection', I'd use it for its intended purpose.

So what do you use for protecting your lenses ?

So what do you use for protecting your lenses ?

Common sense, caution, and once in a while when those fail I'm glad I always have my lens hood and/or cap on :lol:

Most reactions

Back