Lens Hood

usayit i had a similar question and took it to a camera store. I was asking about how much more effective the fixed lens hood on the EF 24-70 F2.8L was compared to a regular move-with-the-front element one. He told me that the results are essentially the same because of the way the latter lens hoods are designed... thats what im going on. Prior to that i was under the same assumption as manaheim.

Same here... but one store will tell me one thing and another will tell me another.. heheh :lol: So I use them just like I do with primes.

I say the same of you. You claim a lens cannot function without a hood, just as an aircraft cannot function without wings. The lame analogy alone should discredit you from giving photographic advice.

Calling the analogy lame is hardly the mature way of dealing with the fact that youre incorrect. Its a subjective adjective and im sure youre one of few support that opinion. I called you an idiot because the sarcasm in your response to my post was so obviously condescending. There is no need for that.

Im thinking you should stop nit-picking at the irrelevant things people are saying (like the ACCURACY of an analogy) and maybe take note of what we're saying to you so you will understand.

Tried and tried in the 5 years I've been here... it just gets worse as the years go by. Try to diffuse it and they just PM you instead... (worst from a "highly" regarded individual here.. which I used to have respect for and no longer). Best to take it as it is and move on.

Anyone up for some pictures of their dinner tonight? ;)

Heh, I guess so. I come from a political debate forum (I spend quite a bit of my time there) and ethics are highly encouraged and enforced. I guess I do need to get used to it :meh:.

Same here... but one store will tell me one thing and another will tell me another.. heheh :lol: So I use them just like I do with primes.

Well some one should give us a straight answer! From what ive read youre all about the primes so this isnt really even a problem unless you decide to embrace the convenience of zooms!:lol: Though right now i currently employ only primes as well. A very small number of them...

quote=anubis404;1443239]Don't get the idea that I don't think lens hoods are helpful. I just don't think they're necessary for every day use. I don't know every photographer on this board, but I don't usually stand on the sidelines of football games or take pictures near the edge of the grand canyon.

From the moment the doctor turns your feet up to the sky, slaps you on the butt and you draw that first breath of air life is nothing but a journey to death. Some journeys are long, some are short. I choose to make my journey one with no regrets. Perhaps you should reflect on the direction your journey is taking you.

There was an amazon link posted to third party hoods. Besides, I don't know any 50mms that can mount a lens hood.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/1902/AF-NIKKOR-50mm-f/1.4D.html & http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Photography-Accessories/Lens-Hoods/4340/HB-47-Lens-Hood.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html & http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162044-REG/Canon_2660A002_ES_71_II_Lens_Hood.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002BA_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html & http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12467-REG/Canon_2645A002_ES_62_Lens_Hood_with.html#accessories

So does the Sony, as well as the Sigma.

That's your fault for not even bothering to look at the picture after you take it. Most of us shoot digital, don't we?

Don't get me wrong, lens hoods do provide protection and help with lens flare, I just think they're a bit excessive for every day use. Its like walking down the street in full football pads. I'm sure it provides extra protection, and it might save your life. Yet you don't see people walking down the street in football pads. There are times to wear football pads (lens hood), I just think a filter is more appropriate for every day use. Not every one of us is toting L glass and dodging 200lb athletes when we go out to shoot.

Just a thought.

Actually I don't need to look at the picture most of the time after taking it. Looking at the picture after every shot still doesn't change the fact that you missed the ONCE in a life time shot. There are no do overs, no mulligans for a ONCE in a life time shot.

If you have to look at every picture after taking it then you really don't have a handle on your craft. If you are shooting action you don't have time to look at every shot. When I am shooting a field sport I have a light meter in my hands a whole lot more checking light changes, especially on cloudy days, then I ever look at the pictures. Before I start I meter for what I am shooting and take a couple of test shots and check them. If I am looking at a photo while shooting it is usually to check and see if I got the precise moment of action instead of a hair before or after.

As for shooting digital, I shoot digital these days. But I cut my teeth on film where you had to get it right the first time. You learned to think of everything because you only found out if you got the shot or missed it in the dark room later. That to me is the one downfall of digital. Shoot, look, try again, look, try again, look etc. until you get it right instead of knowing how to get it right the first time.

In the world of photography lens hood are equilivent to pants not football pads. Say....you're not one of those streakers are you?????:lmao::lol::lmao:

Calling the analogy lame is hardly the mature way of dealing with the fact that youre incorrect. Its a subjective adjective and im sure youre one of few support that opinion. I called you an idiot because the sarcasm in your response to my post was so obviously condescending. There is no need for that.

My post was not intended to be condescending, and a personal attack is different from attacking your analogy.

Im thinking you should stop nit-picking at the irrelevant things people are saying (like the ACCURACY of an analogy) and maybe take note of what we're saying to you so you will understand.
When someone provides little to no support of their opinion and then goes on to say "you're wrong, you should stop, you're an idiot", they are hardly in the position to request that I listen to your arguments.

Last edited:
....youre all about the primes so this isnt really even a problem unless you decide to embrace the convenience of zooms!:lol:

I have embraced the convenience of zooms. Two that survived my mass unload of Canon gear. They are frequently used to take photos of my son and my younger cousins. Them buggers just don't stay still and "foot" zoom while on your knees just isn't fast enough. :lol:

From the moment the doctor turns your feet up to the sky, slaps you on the butt and you draw that first breath of air life is nothing but a journey to death. Some journeys are long, some are short. I choose to make my journey one with no regrets. Perhaps you should reflect on the direction your journey is taking you.

Err, ok?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12467-REG/Canon_2645A002_ES_62_Lens_Hood_with.html#accessories

I could be mistaken, but weren't we talking about the F1.8, not the F1.4?

Actually I don't need to look at the picture most of the time after taking it. Looking at the picture after every shot still doesn't change the fact that you missed the ONCE in a life time shot. There are no do overs, no mulligans for a ONCE in a life time shot.

I guess so, but if I knew a shot was "once in a lifetime", I would definitely look at the screen to make sure its free of lens flare or exposure errors.

If you have to look at every picture after taking it then you really don't have a handle on your craft. If you are shooting action you don't have time to look at every shot. When I am shooting a field sport I have a light meter in my hands a whole lot more checking light changes, especially on cloudy days, then I ever look at the pictures. Before I start I meter for what I am shooting and take a couple of test shots and check them. If I am looking at a photo while shooting it is usually to check and see if I got the precise moment of action instead of a hair before or after.

Ah, sports is a different story.

As for shooting digital, I shoot digital these days. But I cut my teeth on film where you had to get it right the first time. You learned to think of everything because you only found out if you got the shot or missed it in the dark room later. That to me is the one downfall of digital. Shoot, look, try again, look, try again, look etc. until you get it right instead of knowing how to get it right the first time.

In the world of photography lens hood are equilivent to pants not football pads. Say....you're not one of those streakers are you?????:lmao::lol::lmao:

Lol, I think pants protect you from something different :mrgreen:.

quote=anubis404;1443408]
I could be mistaken, but weren't we talking about the F1.8, not the F1.4?
I don't know, were we? These are your words not mine.

There was an amazon link posted to third party hoods. Besides, I don't know any 50mms that can mount a lens hood.

I guess so, but if I knew a shot was "once in a lifetime", I would definitely look at the screen to make sure its free of lens flare or exposure errors.
Too late, it was once in a life time, It's over, gone, passed you by. Too late to look at the screen. You should have been looking in the viewfinder and been prepared in the first place. That's the point. No one come up to you and says "ten seconds from now is going to be a once in a lifetime shot, get ready." You are prepare or you not. There is no knowing that a moment is going to be once in a life time. Magruder didn't know that John Kennedy was going to be assassinated and decided to show up with a move camera to capture the back of his head being blown open. Right place, right time and prepared. Ask and wedding photographer, any photojournalist or anyone that has been shooting a while for that matter. There are no do overs.

Ah, sports is a different story.
No it's just a different subject matter. It's still photography, and getting it right is all part of knowing your craft. The only thing that is different is the pace. A camera body doesn't think to itself "oh this is a wedding, I need to have richer colors." A lens doesn't decide that it's a football game and needs to be sharper than normal. They are just tools. Good tools used properly with a little skill will yield results.

Lol, I think pants protect you from something different :mrgreen:.

Actually I reconsidered my thinking on this one and decided that lenses are the pants of the photography world. Lens hoods are the underwear. I always use one because I don't want any of my lenses ending up with "racing stripes" on them.

Last edited:
question i have regarding hoods on zooms...

Are the hoods really just effective at the widest focal length?

In general, yes, but it depends on the lens design. There is the Canon zoom already mentioned that has the front element moving within the hood, but that is an exception rather than the rule.

With other zooms it gets more complicated optically because the location of the entrance pupil (the place the lens 'sees' from) moves along the lens axis as the lens is zoomed - so the place the lens sees from moves at the same time as the angle of view changes. This can help or hinder hood design.

If the entrance pupil always moved backwards in proportion to the decrease in angle as the lens zoomed in, then the hood might stand a chance of being useful - but that relationship doesn't always happen. Even if it did the hood would still not be very effective at the longer focal lengths because there are two factors at work: one is the simple relationship between the edge of the hood and the outside of the bundle of rays forming the image and the other is a function of the length of the hood in front of the front element in relation to the angle of view. Sorry that was so long, but I tried to introduce the reasoning behind why the answer is generally 'yes', and I know that you can handle it. I can go into much more detail if you wish. I have written a few things about hood design, complete with diagrams and formulae and stuff, and I might be able to find some of them. There isn't a lot available on in-depth hood design and use - in most cases (other than by lens designers) I think that it is done by experiment.

If the absolute highest image quality is important, particularly when there are light sources just outside of the frame (including light backgrounds) then I would advise the use of a compendium shade carefully adjusted to suit the working focal length. Adjustable shades are not uncommon in medium format, large format and cinematography - fields where high image quality is important.

Remember that any light entering the lens that is not forming part of the image has the potential to lower the contrast, and any effect will be seen particularly in the shadow detail. It may not be seen as obvious flare but as subtle loss of contrast.

Best,
Helen

Last edited:
I..... Sorry that was so long, but I tried to introduce the reasoning behind why the answer is generally 'yes', and I know that you can handle it....

As always Helen, THANKS! I am always amazed by your depth of knowledge in optics. There is no need to apologize for your long explanations.... I like it when I have slow down to read your replies carefully as there is almost always something to learn and not miss.

Yup, nice explanation Helen. Thanks. I'd love to see deeper info on it if you can rustle it up.

I don't know, were we? These are your words not mine.

When I said 50mm I was referring to the 1.8. I think.

Too late, it was once in a life time, It's over, gone, passed you by. Too late to look at the screen. You should have been looking in the viewfinder and been prepared in the first place. That's the point. No one come up to you and says "ten seconds from now is going to be a once in a lifetime shot, get ready." You are prepare or you not. There is no knowing that a moment is going to be once in a life time. Magruder didn't know that John Kennedy was going to be assassinated and decided to show up with a move camera to capture the back of his head being blown open. Right place, right time and prepared. Ask and wedding photographer, any photojournalist or anyone that has been shooting a while for that matter. There are no do overs.

In your case, you're right. But, I mostly enjoy doing portraits and landscape, two things that there are definitely do overs. Wedding photographers and sports photographers would be the exception. In those cases, I guess a lens hood would be necessary. But the majority of photographers don't shoot wedding or sports, so I would be hesitant to say that a lens hood is always required for everyone.

Actually I reconsidered my thinking on this one and decided that lenses are the pants of the photography world. Lens hoods are the underwear. I always use one because I don't want any of my lenses ending up with "racing stripes" on them.

Well, better make sure my lenses are pulling a Britney Spears. :p

Helen, I do not know what else to say .. but a BIG THANKS as always. Every time after I read your post, it will motivate me to learn more in Photography. (Not just how to take a good shots)

8 months ago, I thought photography is only about how to take a good photos ...

Most reactions

Back