Lens Hood

bschneider5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first DSLR camera was the D40, and I recently bought a D200 on eBay and I'm going to be shooting at a kid's fishing derby next month. It's in the morning, and really think I need to use lens hood. I'll be using the kit lens AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm 3.5-5.6GE II ED NIKON DX. The original kit didn't come with one, and it's got the threaded end, not bayonet style. My question is, can I just buy any ol' 52mm thread on lens hood from eBay or will it matter? The only ones I can find for this type lens are the bayonet style.

Yes. I also had the D40 to start with and the kit lens you mention. Any 52mm threaded lens hood will work. You'll just have to watch out on the wide angle of the lens. Don't want to get the edges of the hood in the image. If at all possible, go to a camera store or something so you can try it on the camera and check the coverage.

The HB-45 (Nikon's actual hood for that lens) doesn't screw in, it's a snap-on style. It's also not very deep at all, so if you go with a generic one, be careful you're not going to cause vignetting at 18mm.

I have had an HB-45 sitting around for quite a while that I have no need for any more. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in it. Cover a few bucks for packing and shipping and it's yours.

4941 Nikon HB-45 Replacement Lens Hood for 18-55mm VR Lens and 18-55mm DX

Most reactions

New Topics

Back