Lens ideas for indoor pictures

daacrusher2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to photography and I was hoping someone in the forum can help.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel and I only have a zoom lens for it. I bought it photograph the kids sports events, and it's been pretty good for that, although, the lens doesn't do so well indoors for events like basketball. Not enough light I guess.

I'd like to get another lens to shoot some photos in the house. Typical holiday stuff, some events, that kind of thing.

I was thinking maybe a fast, 50mm lens would do the trick? Or should I consider a smaller, faster zoom than the one I have...maybe 50-75 or so?

Just looking for ideas, and any recommendations on the brand/model would be great!

Thanks!

I think a hot shoe flash may help you out alot more than any lens, especially indoor stuff at your home. This entirely depends on your home lighting though. In most cases, indoors without a flash, I'm shooting f1.4-f2 (depending on lens) at higher iso's(800-2000) with my d90. Thats with my 35 f1.8, 50 f1.8 and 85 f1.4. The drawback is that if it's a family gathering you may want more than one persons eye in focus. I say eye, not eyes, because at very wide open apertures you may only be getting one eye in sharp focus if your subject isn't perpendicular to your sensor(this depends on how close your are of course). You can get away with slower shutterspeeds with a wider focal length lens like a 35mm.

Grabbing a hot shoe flash and bouncing it off the ceiling and walls will open up a whole new world.

Jake, thanks, I may go for a different flash as well. Regarding the lens, I may not have said this, but I only have the one lens - it's something like a 75-300mm zoom. It's kind of big and has some limitations in small rooms. I wanted to get something a little smaller/lighter, and I thought higher speed would help in general.

Jim

In the house, the Sigma 2.8 18mm to 50mm will handle most situations. For sports events like basketball inside, however you will need a fast telephoto such as a 2.8 70mm to 200mm lens.

Your 75mm to 300mm will probably handle sports events as well, but you will need a very powerful flash unit to supplement it and that will add weight to the combo.

skieur

I'd recommend a fast prime. A 50 is sort of a go to, and they're generally pretty affordable. The Canon 50mm 1.8 is nice for the money, and the more expensive Sigma 50mm 1.4 is just plain nice. However... 50 might be a little tight inside? Depends on how you like to shoot of course, but 50 is a standard lens on full frame, on crop I actually prefer a 35. Fast 35's or 28's or 24's get expensive though. And the problem with getting a zoom is that you can still only go to 2.8, which for me is not nearly fast enough. How much did you want to spend exactly?

You could also consider an EF35mm F/2. They are relatively cheap and some think they are a bit noisy but I like mine, the noise doesn't bother me and they are better than the 50mm for most indoor situations

I'd recommend a fast prime. A 50 is sort of a go to, and they're generally pretty affordable. The Canon 50mm 1.8 is nice for the money, and the more expensive Sigma 50mm 1.4 is just plain nice. However... 50 might be a little tight inside? Depends on how you like to shoot of course, but 50 is a standard lens on full frame, on crop I actually prefer a 35. Fast 35's or 28's or 24's get expensive though. And the problem with getting a zoom is that you can still only go to 2.8, which for me is not nearly fast enough. How much did you want to spend exactly?

Not sure how much I want to spend, but probably no more than a $200-$300.

I would agree that 50mm is too tight inside. I mean, in some situations I've been in lately (in homes), I need to climb over tables and behind furniture to get small group shots... I have a the f/1.4 50mm Canon, and it's gorgeous, but if you're trying to capture the family at a birthday party that was brought inside because of the rain - and you don't have large spaces - get something with a wider shot than 50. Canon also has a 35mm and a 24mm prime...

I would agree that 50mm is too tight inside. I mean, in some situations I've been in lately (in homes), I need to climb over tables and behind furniture to get small group shots... I have a the f/1.4 50mm Canon, and it's gorgeous, but if you're trying to capture the family at a birthday party that was brought inside because of the rain - and you don't have large spaces - get something with a wider shot than 50. Canon also has a 35mm and a 24mm prime...[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not even what I would consider a hobbyist. I shoot some photos at various events, but don't do a lot more with my camera and pictures. I'm thinking 50mm might be the best way to go. Also considering a flash. I have a vivitar flash for my old X700 (which I just used, and it takes great pics still!) and even with a zoom, never had a problem.

Thanks for all the input. I'm probably going to go with a 50mm. The 35mm's are pricey, and for what I need, the 50 should do.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays to all!

Jim

I have a Canon 50mm f/1.8 and a 28mm f/2.8.
I find the 28mm is a bit too slow and I may still reach for the flash, but the natural and artificial lighting in my house is horrible because my condo only has windows on the north and west sides of the house. You may get better results than I do depending on your lighting.
I use the 50mm indoors all the time and i have no problems using it without a flash. It is a bit tight so you won't get group shots. Unless you can get some distance in between you and your subject, you won't be able to show backgrounds or surroundings if you're shooting without a flash because your dof will be so shallow.
As far as price, the 50mm is about $100 bucks. It's a super lens for the money. If you can afford it, spend the extra money and go with a 50mm f/1.4. The 1.8 version is all plastic with no focus window and no USM. You should be able to pick up a 28mm for under $300, and in some rare cases you can find them for under $200 used on ebay.

For indoor type events such as birthday parties, the 50mm lens is not wide enough for me most of the time. Well, at least the places I went were not mansion type house. So I often use my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens instead. And bounce the flash off the ceiling for more light.

Most reactions

Back