Lens/monopod mount

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Canon 300mm f/4 IS and the Manfrotto 681B Bogen-Manfrotto Professional Monopod, Black Anodized, #3218

My question is if I need to purchase a larger head for the monopod. I've seen pictures of the lens collar mount and it's massive. I don't know if you need a huge mount for the monopod?

Also haha, is there anything that might come in handy when purchasing these two items?

I don't use a head on a monopod. I have two Bogens that I bought a while ago. They both came with a rubber mount. At first I just tossed them to the side. Then after a couple years I was like hey, thats a pretty good idea. I use it more for a shock mount than anything. As most lenses will rotate in their tripod mount. The idea of a monopod is to save weight / have some support. So why add weight to it? It doesn't look like they include the rubber head anymore. Not sure if you can still get them or not. Maybe not that popular?

There is no need to add anything to the monopod for that lens. For convienience however you might consider adding an Arca-swiss type QR plate to the bottom of the lens and an Arca-swiss type QR mechinisim to the monopod. They are very strong and make putting the lens on and off, or a camera body for that matter. The arca-swiss system is a standard used by several companies for camera and lens mounting on tripods and monopods.

Now for the bad news. It is more expensive then something like marfrottos RC2 system but it is also by far the most secure.

I mount my 400 f2.8 on my monopod that has this QR mechanisim on it.
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Quick Release Clamps

There are several different plates here.
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Quick-Release Plates

Other Arca-swiss companies.
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Home Page
Really Right Stuff ... Your Camera Support Experts
Welcome to Jobu Design!
FOBA Tripod Heads
Kirk Photo: Quality Photographic Equipment for Outdoor & Nature Photography

Going arca swiss can be expensive, but you just can't get any better for conveince, quality or stability.

Most reactions

Back