Lens necessities?

First, do you really need a lens wider then 35mm?

42.45% of my shots are 34mm equiv. or wider haha. It's never been stated what the intended use of the lens in though, and my percent comes from a landscape interest.

This is the key point in deciding. I have no use for anything wider than 28, and don't use that very much, so everyone's needs are different. Check the file info on the shots you took with the 18-55 to see whether you have many "keepers" taken near the wide end, and if so, whether those could have been taken with a slightly longer focal length, and you'll have answered your own question.

That percent refers to keepers, and in a lot of the cases I've been after something a bit wider (can't always back up and the distorted perspective can be useful).

No argument, Tyler. I was suggesting the OP do this to make a decision. If you're taking that much at a short focal length, clearly you need to have something in that range.

No argument, Tyler. I was suggesting the OP do this to make a decision. If you're taking that much at a short focal length, clearly you need to have something in that range.

That's my bad, I read it as you commenting towards the pictures I have for if mine at the wide end were keepers.

OP, have a look for "ExposurePlot" - it will give you a rough overview of what settings you tend to use.

The Field of View on a DX camera is 1.5 Times the lens' focal length (Nikon). So a 35mm equivalent is actually just under a 24mm focal length. 18mm is about the same as a 28mm on a full frame camera and let's face it, 28mm isn't really all that wide.

Having a 35mm lens as your widest is like having a 50mm as your widest on a film camera, a 28mm is like a 42mm which is just in the 'normal' range. Why limit yourself?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back