Lens Opinion Please

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm still working with the kit lens for my Canon XS. I'm still new at all this and it takes good pictures and all that, but it gives me limited options on what I can photo really. I want to get a new lens that's quite versatile. I was looking at the 55-250mm f/4-5.6Telephoto Zoom Lens cause it is $299.00, but I also see that the F# is not all that low. How much will that limit me? Would I be better off getting something like the 50mm f/1.4 EF USM Telephoto Lens for $579.00?

As with all the other similar questions posted here on a daily basis...

What are you shooting? Why do you feel you need a new lens?

Remember the saying "jack of all trades, master of none". While the 18-200 style lenses offer a wide focal range, their optical quality will be less than ranges that offer shorter focal ranges, which they will be less than a prime lens. Typically, you go with versatility and you cut on image quality.

If you want a longer reach, the 55-250 is a low end kit lens (still capable of half decent images though), of similar optical quality to the 18-55 you have. You can go with a 70-300, which is more expensive, but yields better results IMO. Or go with the 70-200 f/4 or f/2.8 L lenses (even more expensive).

If you find your lens is not sharp and like to shoot portraits or indoor stuff, then a 50mm 1.4 would be good, or even the 50 1.8, which is a cheaper build but gives great images.

If you love the focal lenght of your lens but just want to upgrade the quality, look at the 17-40 f/4 or the 17-55 f/2.8 EF-S

Many many many options... there are macro lenses, wide angle lenses, ... it all depends on what YOU need.

Like I said, I'm really new. I do mostly portraits, but also some flowers/landscape stuff (mostly for myself). I would like to be able to get a better zoom quality. Especially in the portrait taking. I feel like in order to get my closer up shots I'm having to get too close to my subject.

Sorry I don't know all the technical terms and stuff, but I'm working on it. This has always been a hobby of mine and now that I have a DSLR (a basic one, yes) I am trying to pick up stuff as I go along so that I can learn a little more about confidently upgrading on my own when it's time.

Most reactions

Back