Lens options, hypothetically speaking

bahandi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To make it short, which lens would you buy in this situation, and why? I'm trying to figure out in my mind how to "prioritize" criteria in lens buying. All prices in Canadian dollars. Lenses are Canon mounts.

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG MACRO - $800(used)

Canon 70-200 F4 (I'm assuming L) - $600(used)

Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM - $840 new

Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III USM - $250 new

assuming that the extra zoom isn't a huge issue.

What is it that you like to shoot? The extra 100mm can make a VERY large difference.

Like icassell said, what do you like to shoot? That'll make a huge difference in your purchase. Defeintely do your research and read reviews. Also, find out which one is going to be the greater steal and the most useful to you. You need to find that magic lens, it's versatile and didn't give you a heartattack while you were paying for it.

The way I look at it any time someone asks what lens they should get: it all depends on what you shoot and what you need. Personally, I have 18-200mm covered (nikon 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR), as well as a fast prime 50. While they're nothing real special and are slow, I wanted to make sure I at least had a good variety covered, and now that I do, I won't buy any more lenses until I can step up to better and faster stuff. If I could afford it right now, I'd buy myself a [Nikon] 70-200 f/2.8 in a heartbeat.

Would you rather have a slow 75-300mm lens now for cheaper, and then upgrade to something nice later on, or save up and get a faster lens right off the bat? Also, depending on what you shoot, you might really need that extra 100mm. I chose to go the first route.

May I suggest renting a 70-300mm from somewhere like BorrowLenses.com - Camera Rental and Canon/Nikon Lens Rental

If you do this then you will see how much you like the extra 100mm. I have always had a good experience with that site and they tend to have a good selection. There are other similar sites. Hmmm...just reread your post and saw "Canadian dollars." My Sherlock Holmes like ability to deduce tells me that you are, in fact, in Canada. I don't know if BorrowLenses ships to Canada but there is another site that is based out of Canada. The name escapes me at the moment.

May I suggest renting a 70-300mm from somewhere like BorrowLenses.com - Camera Rental and Canon/Nikon Lens Rental

If you do this then you will see how much you like the extra 100mm. I have always had a good experience with that site and they tend to have a good selection. There are other similar sites. Hmmm...just reread your post and saw "Canadian dollars." My Sherlock Holmes like ability to deduce tells me that you are, in fact, in Canada. I don't know if BorrowLenses ships to Canada but there is another site that is based out of Canada. The name escapes me at the moment.

This is an excellent suggestion. Borrow or rent to see what works for you.

Borrowing is always awesome. Unforuantely, most of my friend are getting into photography now that I've introduced them to it. And none of them have any good toys yet. Haha.

Renting I think works very well when you're picking out lenses that are well into the $1000 price range or if you have a budget which is higher than the amount the lenses cost and its a case of getting the perfect tool for the job. However I think if your budget is not that high then its better to test in a shop environment rather than rent - otherwise the cost of renting will be a significant impact into your planned spending budget.

As for which lens again we really need to know what you shoot - the 70-200mm options I would expect to give you better image quality over that range - however if your after animals/wildlife the 300mm options might be the better bet (though both 70-200mm lenses mentioned should be easily able to take a 1.4TC for added range, it is additional cost for that 1.4TC - I do not have any idea how the lenses would compare up though image quality wise in this case)

If I was choosing between those I would go with the canon 70-200 f4L its supposed to be one of the best lens canon makes. I have the 75-300 the cheapo one that was $300 and I never use it due to the sharpness of the lens is horrible at 300 and ok at 200. That is just my experience with that lens.

i just found out my wife is buying the the 70-200 f4L for xmas....we are ordering tomorrow from B&H....yay! cant wait!!

However I think if your budget is not that high then its better to test in a shop environment rather than rent

Good call. I could see how renting all of those potential lenses could cost a pretty penny depending on shipping and length of the rental.

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG MACRO - $800(used)

Canon 70-200 F4 (I'm assuming L) - $600(used)

Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM - $840 new

Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III USM - $250 new

The price on the Sigma 70-200 seems awfully high for a used Sigma--doesn't that lens retail for $800 now in the USA? I would not pay $800 for a used Sigma 70-200 f/2.8.

The older Canon 75-300 IS lens has a lot of purple fringing,and is one of Canon's oldest IS lens designs--or it was until discontinued. it was their very first or second IS lens design. A friend had one--not a very good lens with a modern d-slr on the back of it.

Size-wise, the 70-200mm f/4-L used for $600 would be the lens I'd want to carry, and which I think would actually hold its value for several more years. I have borrowed that lens, the 67mm filter thread, pre-IS f/4 model, and it's a good lens.

It's often difficult to decide in a market filled with so many options. Budget, desired weight, shooting needs (outdoors? hiking? travel?) determine a lot. One thing to keep in mind though: top-quality lenses allow you to shoot an image and with a new, high-rez d-slr, you can crop-in at the computer--as long as the lens is up to the task. That's why the old 75-300 IS is $240 used and the new one is $840--it's undergone a major optics upgrade in the newer 70-300 IS model. Nikon has done the same thing with its new 70-300--moving the optics up a notch or two,at a similar $800-ish price point.

Wow. Thanks guys. A lot of things to mull over.

Derrel, are you citing American prices? Mine are Canadian.

Now, not to offend anyone, for someone like me who only uses photography as a hobby, will the differences of IQ really matter?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back