Wich one is better?

erikpottas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm almost going on vacation and planning on buying one of three lenses. Im going to be taking stills and taking pictures of wildlife. The Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens has image stabilization, but the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Lens has macro feature or should I go for the Canon EF 75-300mm f4.0-5.6 III Lens?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IMO, there's no such thing as too much length when you're after wild-life, so unless you need the 55-70mm range, I would be going for one of the the 300s. The Sigma's so-called "macro" feature is in fact just a close-up feature, with maximum magnification of .5x (2:1). While I don't have any personal experience with any of these lenses, my default is usually toward the manufacturer's brand because it tends to have better QA in build and you know it's 100% compatible.

Which body?

Canon has a nasty habit of not playing well with Sigma because Sigma didn't pay the license fee.

IMO as tirdiron says stick with the Canon especially given the IS and the fact that unless your shooting with a tripod or have iron hard and stable arm muscles, itll wobble so badly that the images will be fuzzy at long FDs.

P.S. Look into the Canon 70-300 f 5.5 IS USM. they are older but far superior and not too expencive.

I have used all three. The sigma has really bad CA colour fringing at the 300 end it’s also heavier than the canons
As said above canon does not play well with sigma lens.
Out of the two canons, I would go for the EF 75 300. For the reasons others have said and that if I ever move from crop sensor the ef will fit the FF canon you can use EF lenses on a crop sensor body as well as the EFS lenses but you can not use EFS lenses on a full frame camera.. least ways not in the canon range

How about the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO HSM IF (Canon)?

For the Canon line of lenses any similar focal length I would go for the EF version of a lens. Generally they have a little better glass, not always but usually.

The best answer I could give is if you have a camera shop near you, take your camera in and ask to test them. Shoot the exact same settings and subject. Then go home and see which one you consider to be the best image for the price.

How about the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO HSM IF (Canon)?
As someone with three sigma lenses for Canon.

Pass.

Search - mpb.com

I cant even use them on my 5D.

Please head this warning. Stick with Canon if possible. Tamron and Tokina work with canon. Sigma does not.

Not used the 100 300 I went for the 100 400 l series so can’t say on the 300

The 55-250 is a far superior lense to the 75-300. First is the image stabilization, second, the image quality of the 75-300, especially at higher zoom, is not great. You would definitely end up with better pictures using the 55-250 at 250mm, and then cropping so it's the same fov of the 300mm.
Being able to use it on a full frame camera is not useful if it's a crap lense. It's been said many times the 75-300 is the worst lense Canon makes.....

I used to own a sigma 100 to 300 mm F4 Apo HSM, which was an older EX
Model, and as such was actually one or two grades above the lenses you are talking about here. It was a pretty sharp lens and the constant maximum aperture of f4 from 100 to 300 millimeters was really nice. I found it a very useful lens for outdoor sports during daytime hours, and I thought it was a pretty good lens for baseball games using a 1.5 x crop frame camera. My only complaint was occasional Focus hunting.

IMHO, IS is critical for a long lens.
I learned on non-stabilized lenses, and a stabilized lens is SOOOO much easier to shoot with.
So I would choose the 55-250, as it is the only stabilized lens that you list.

Canon does make a stabilized 75-300, and that would be my choice over the 55-250.

The 55-250 is a far superior lense to the 75-300. First is the image stabilization, second, the image quality of the 75-300, especially at higher zoom, is not great. You would definitely end up with better pictures using the 55-250 at 250mm, and then cropping so it's the same fov of the 300mm.
Being able to use it on a full frame camera is not useful if it's a crap lense. It's been said many times the 75-300 is the worst lense Canon makes.....
The first IS lens Canon made was a 70-300 IS USM f5.6.

they actually have high rating even for a late 90's lens. There are two subsequent versions after that allow up to four stops down because of the IS.
Canon U.S.A., Inc. | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM

The older ones run around $100 US depending on condition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back