Lens Pen

Tbf i never really used it that much , Ive got a rocket blower and a pack of microfibre cloths which i find work well.
Pen is good for mirror and (lightly) the focusing screen.

The brush end is handy, the other end is useless in my personal opinion.

Definitely only the brush end is useful, but even then, brushes start collecting dust after awhile, and seem to me like they kind of undermine themselves for that reason. Especially if you have any really BAD type of dust, like I do... like metal shavings on your lens... (don't ask). Much better to blow it away with a rocket blower, IMO, which does not collect that dust inside of itself (it might pull in dust from the air, but just wait to use it until you're in a non dusty place)

Metal shavings in lens :eek:

I think the (lens mount?) shaves metal over time too. My T90 must have 150k+ on the clock and when I got it serviced there was a load of metal dust stuck to the electromagnets for the shutter.

Metal shavings in lens>SNIP

And metal shavings in the bottom of the mirror box area inside the camera....YES, very common on a camera with an owner that actually changes lenses regularly. The edges of the bayonet fittings on most lenses wears through on the chrome plating, and exposes the underlying brass. And each time the lens is mounted, there's a pretty good change that one or two very tiny little flecks of brass will come off of the lens lugs.

Examining the degree of wear on a used lens's lugs is one easy way to tell how frequently, or how many times, the lens was used. If a used lens has a lot of wear on the outer barrel, but the lugs show almost NO brassing, the lens has not been swapped on and off many times. If the lugs are almost immaculately new, but the wear is heavy, it's likely the lens was used more or less "permanently" on one body, and carried a lot.

Metal shavings in lens>SNIP

And metal shavings in the bottom of the mirror box area inside the camera....YES, very common on a camera with an owner that actually changes lenses regularly. The edges of the bayonet fittings on most lenses wears through on the chrome plating, and exposes the underlying brass. And each time the lens is mounted, there's a pretty good change that one or two very tiny little flecks of brass will come off of the lens lugs.

Examining the degree of wear on a used lens's lugs is one easy way to tell how frequently, or how many times, the lens was used. If a used lens has a lot of wear on the outer barrel, but the lugs show almost NO brassing, the lens has not been swapped on and off many times. If the lugs are almost immaculately new, but the wear is heavy, it's likely the lens was used more or less "permanently" on one body, and carried a lot.

I was wondering about that when I first bought 70-300mm usm. I was worrying about the metal to metal grinding.

The brush end is handy, the other end is useless in my personal opinion.

^This.
yup

The youtube videos are convincing. These are like "As Seen On TV." I thought the lens pen was a breakthrough until I bought it and try it out. It doesn't look like it cleans my lens very well. I think there are carbon residues on my lens. The rocket blower, solution, and microfiber cloth clean better.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lens Pen...just reminds me of like...re-using one of those tooth flosser deals...or eating everything off of yesterday's used paper plates...

It's a waste of money tecboy. Microfiber and distilled water. You can get cloths by the pack cheap and distilled water by the gallon for about $1 and it'll last many years. Just don't put the cloths in the dryer. This article (toward bottom) explains a bit more.

I use a lens pen. Love those things. I carry it around in my camera bag. It is small, doesn't take up much space. And I use it quite often on the fly if I see something on the lense. No problems yet. There is nothing really wet about it, nothing to dry off. it only takes about five seconds. And it is a easy carry around. I would be careful to use the brush thoroughly first though to remove any abrasives or hard particles. seems to work. Not to suggest anyone should or shouldn't, just sayn.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back