Lens Protection Needed?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a video shoot coming up that involves a lot of sparks from an angle grinder. I am planning on using my d3100 with a 35mm prime on it from some close up shots and I was wondering if the sparks would harm the lens or if they are strong enough to withstand the sparks. I do have a cheapo uv filter but it causes weird reflections in these type of situations.

It could; it's not too likely, but those sparks are white/red hot metal. They can adhere to some surfaces, especially cheap optical coatings. You could buy a clear glass filter, or try shooting from behind a safety shield.

Your cheapo UV filter will likely cause issues with the image quality, but yes small white/red hot pieces of metal can harm an unprotected lens front element.

We won't mention your face, hair, arms, hands, etc.

So what you do is use a long enough focal length to be out of range, instead of a 35 mm.

Use a tiffen skylight filter ...it won't ruin your image quality and save your lens... If it were me I would set up a piece of glass and shoot through it ...this way you protect the camera and the lens...I am sure other techies would object because the glass is not optically tested ... so be it.

We won't mention your face, hair, arms, hands, etc.

I will be wearing full PPE. Got to protect my money maker.

I do have a 50mm prime that I can use to get closer shots but depending on the angle sparks can shoot up to 12ft.

I've tried using filters before and have gotten very bad reflections.

Anyone know if plexi-glass would be better or worse?

I can tell you from experience that that the carbon from the cutoff/grinding wheel WILL embed in the glass!!I ruined the drivers side window of my suburban.Glad it was a work truck,couldn't even scrape it off.do it from a distance and zoom.
I would also consider the body,etc....ask the guy doing the grinding what that stuff does to things.

more than likely make it worse. angle grinders usually shoot the sparks more or less in one direction, try shooting facing where the sparks are shooting rather than facing where they are coming from.

more than likely make it worse. angle grinders usually shoot the sparks more or less in one direction, try shooting facing where the sparks are shooting rather than facing where they are coming from.

I am planning on doing several dolly shots that will involve passing through the spark cast off.

I can tell you from experience that that the carbon from the cutoff/grinding wheel WILL embed in the glass!!I ruined the drivers side window of my suburban.Glad it was a work truck,couldn't even scrape it off.do it from a distance and zoom.
I would also consider the body,etc....ask the guy doing the grinding what that stuff does to things.

I can second this. I wrecked a good $200 pair of Ray Ban sunglasses and the back door to my house which is almost all glass. The wife was NOT happy.

Most reactions

Back