Lens question :)

But IS cannot replace a fast lens.

When you need to freeze a motion, you need fast shutter speed and a fast lens will help.

So is the 50mm f/1.8 a fast lens? I haven't quite figured out yet how you determine what a fast lens is...

But IS cannot replace a fast lens.

When you need to freeze a motion, you need fast shutter speed and a fast lens will help.

True. I didn't have the heart to tell him to get a flash. :mrgreen:

Him is a HER :)

And I was actually considering getting a flash as well, but I don't think I will need that any time soon ;) I'm going to hold off on that for now :)

By fast what they mean is how much light is reaching the sensor. So the lower the aperture the faster the lens.

By fast what they mean is how much light is reaching the sensor. So the lower the aperture the faster the lens.
Fast because with a wider aperture (smaller f number like f/1.8) and more light available to the image sensor, you can use a faster shutter speed and have a better chance to stop motion.

KmH,
I prefer to think of it the way I explained it. Simply because there are more advantages to a fast lens than just the increase in shutter speed. Not to say your explanation is wrong, actually it is quite right, I just prefer my broader explanation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back