No offence, but who are you again? Ah, ok, 4 posts and joined March 2010. You should probably be careful about commenting about established members of the community.
I don't give credence to any member with less than 1000 posts. :roll:
Something tells me this isn't the first time around the block for philaw123.
Yes, because post count matters. :er:
I'm guessing your coment was tounge in cheek, I can't tell. My comment was less about post count, and more on the fact that he's a new member, with less than 11 days with a community in which he has no idea about anybody here. He makes a comment about someone based on one thread he has read. Do I like gsgary's style? No. Does he pick on people who decide that it's easier to ask a forum than to do any research themselves? Yes. Does he give good information and help people who actually need it, and aren't just lazy? YES.
What would give you the indication that it isn't "...the first time around the block for philaw123."? Because nothing in any of his posts relates to that, and it certainly doesn't show through on his post in this thread. The ONLY thing to go off of is his join date. Now, if you're privy to information I don't have about him that proves me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it. If you don't, then it's probably not a good idea to make assumptions you can't back up.
I would posit that this thread wouldn't have produced any "crap" whatsoever if it wasn't for gary's attitude. Did I post wrong information? Yes.
Um, I would posit that if you hadn't posted wrong information in the first place, we wouldn't have had the crap that this thread produced. I know he wasn't responding to you, but I find it likely that had correct information been posted in the first place, he would have ignored anything afterwards.
I could find all the factual information in the world just using Google. People come to forums because they have questions and they want them answered in a succint way.
This, and the fact that you posted incorrect information shows exactly why it's NOT a good idea to make forums your first stop. Had you actually done your research (using Google, or whatever) you wouldn't have posted incorrect info. Because you posted incorrect info, the beginner OP got two very different pieces of information that did nothing but possibly confuse. This lead to 3 or 4 more posts that tried to clear up your incorrect information. This included an additional post by you trying to prove your incorrect position. You even included sources to do that, which to a beginner might just increase the credibility of what you were talking about. (Incidentally, your sources actually proved your information to be incorrect, but I digress.)
I think we can all agree that this is a beginners forum. The thing to remember is, even though there are some vets that lurk around her, the vast majority of people here are beginners. That means this may not be the best pool of people to ask questions to. I don't mind helping people out. But (and this goes for EVERY forum I've ever been apart of) posting basic questions that can be easily answered by a quick google search is NOT the way to get information. The veterans get annoyed with it, and we run into the whole incorrect info problem I mentioned earlier. Remember, this is a beginners forum, so there will be a lot of beginners who think they have the answer to a question, when they don't.