I originally had a long post typed up to try to address each of your statements, but I decided that's not the right thing to do because I had let some emotions into it. I've retyped it, addressing some issues, but mainly to try to clarify where I was coming from.
First of all, my intention wasn't to justify what gsgary had posted. Re-reading through what I posted, I realize I didn't quite make that clear, and I apologize for my mistake there. Let me make myself clear in that issue right now. I do agree with
what he said, but I do not agree with the fact that he said it. I thought mostly what he said (though, without the antagonistic parts, like 'dumbest question of the week' or whatever it was he said), but I wouldn't have said it like that. Again, I apologize for my mistake of not being clear.
Here's the thing, gsgary probably shouldn't have posted what he did, but the bottom line is, you shouldn't have posted either. You admit to being confused about this issue, and that you are a film guy. You probably should have just left it to someone who knew what they were talking about. That was the intention of my post replying to you. It's unfortunate, but your good intentions could have made things worse. This isn't an opinion, I'm simply stating a fact.
I wasn't being pious, or anything like that, I just don't like it when people pass the buck to others without taking responsibility for their actions. You admitted you were wrong, that's true, but when it came time to blame someone for the crap that was in this thread, you threw it all to one person, rather than look to yourself also. Then, when I called you on it, rather than see your mistake, you justified it, and even threw in the passive agressive "I'm sorry that I'm not more like you and have never made a good-faith mistake about anything in my entire life." Good-faith or not, it led to the crap in this thread. I'm not perfect, I've never admitted to being perfect.
Lastly, you made a point in trying to say that people post on here to find succinct information about things. I simply used your mistake as proof of why there are better ways of finding information, instead of posting a simple, easily googled, question on a forum.
I have nothing against you, and I mean no hard feelings. Please accept my apologies for the mistakes I've made in this thread, and for me getting a bit heated. Thinking about it, this whole thing is pretty ridiculous. I have a bit of a temper, but I'm working on it. I probably should have left it alone as well. So I will admit my part in all this crap also. There was no need for me to make my second post in this thread.
EDIT: Heh, I intended for this to be short, but it turned out pretty long...sorry about that!