Lens question

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I have been looking around a bit at lenses. i at first had thought about picking up a 85mm prime for portrait work. now that things are changing for me im thinking maybe picking up something a little more versatile like something that would be good for weddings as well. from what i have seen allot of people reccomend a 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 for weddings. im thinking maybe a 70-200 f2.8 would also work really well for portraits and somewhat serve dual pourpose duties.

now i was looking at the tamron 70-200 f2.8 Di LD and noticed that it is a macro lens. which i know means it can focus at very short distances. belive the tamron is around 3' does this feature have any effect on how it would do as a wedding or portrait lens? just don't know allot about macro and wasn't sure if that design would cause it to not be as nice for anything besides macro. any help or knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.

My main portrait lens was a 200 mm f/2 prime lens.

"Was"? Did you sell it or trade it or otherwise dispose of it? Or did you stop shooting portraits?

Macro lenses can also be used for portraits. I am not sure about the lens you mention but I believe that when a lens has a "macro" function that the focus can be slower than a similar lens without macro. Also note that it wont be true macro 1:1

any more info on wether a macro lens is slower then a standard lens? wanting to shoot some sporting type events think i'd prefer the speed over macro abilities.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back