Lens question...

nickgamboa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope that I am posting in the right spot, if not feel free to move....

I recently received a Sigma 10-20mm lens for my birthday (from my loving wife), and want to ask what kind of pictures will I get the most out of this lens. I am just asking basically how to get the most of this lens. I looks bad ass and want to get pointed in the right direction....

I recently received a Sigma 10-20mm lens for my birthday (from my loving wife), and want to ask what kind of pictures will I get the most out of this lens. I am just asking basically how to get the most of this lens. I looks bad ass and want to get pointed in the right direction....

Well it's a wide angle lens so it will aid with things that you want a wide view of things or in places that you cannot get vary far back from your subject.

Your post makes it sound like you are trying to pick your subject based on your gear. It works best the other way around pick your gear based on the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I can see that. I have a few lenses and my wife chose this one. To be honest, I like taking landscape pictures, so this should be a good use for it? Is it ok to use this for a primary lens, or kids and people, or not?

If by people, you mean portraits then no. You would have to get WAY too close to fill the frame and then it would look distorted. I guess it can be a primary if you are only shooting landscape. It could be good for street photography depending on your style.

I would say, more street for me than anything. Portraits, not really, I mean just random shots of my kids playing or just like everyday type stuff. Still trying to find my style, but driving around Houston for a living, I think I have great access to some good shots...hopefully....

Search 10-20mm in flickr should yield some example or inspirations.

Landscapes YES! A wide angle CAN be used to get some weird and cool portrait perspectives too.

Most reactions

Back