Lens question

mortallis288

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, i am trying to get into sports photography, little league and some golf. But i was wondering which lens would be better

A. 80-200 f2.8, the f stop here really appeals to me for basketball and such, but i do not know if it will be long enough for football

or

B. 80-400 f4.5-5.6, so it will really be like 135-600 which i should be able to get really anything i want, but the aperture sucks for basketball games

So help me decide please? These are both Nikkor lens

the first one.
Not only is the second lens slower, but you will require an even faster shutter speed just to take a picture at all.

You will want the f2.8

Thats what i was thinking, because the crop ratio is awesome on the D-80 anyways

also, if you do get the 2.8, you can always add a teleconverter for extra reach, which would bring you down one or two stops, still better than the second lens mentioned.

Ok, i am trying to get into sports photography, little league and some golf. But i was wondering which lens would be better

A. 80-200 f2.8, the f stop here really appeals to me for basketball and such, but i do not know if it will be long enough for football

or

B. 80-400 f4.5-5.6, so it will really be like 135-600 which i should be able to get really anything i want, but the aperture sucks for basketball games

So help me decide please? These are both Nikkor lens
ON that slower lens you say the aperture "sucks for basketball" But honestly that speed of lens sucks for any sports. I know a longer focal-length might appeal for shooting some sports on a larger field but reall the best way all-around will be to go for the fastest lens you can afford. Looking at some sports field at night or even during the day you may think the light is plenty but really even if you are shooting at a professional venue under their BIG lights you still need a fast lens. You will never regret buying a 2.8 lens and all you need to do is learn how to position yourself so the 200mm limit will not be too much of a detriment.

I just shot a hockey game with a 17-85...length only depends on the sport you're using it for, and from my experience an 80-200 would cover mostly everything quite well

Cool, ya i saw your shoots, they looked awesome

For basketball, if you want to shoot from the baseline (at the basket on your end) the 80-200 in my opinion is going to be too tight. I shoot with a 50mm 1.8 and I sometimes wish I could get a wider field of view.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back