Lens Ratios

jubbin2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone please exlain the math behind macro ratios? For example, I have a Vivitar 100mm macro lens that shoots 1:2 without the diopter on the front. Now lets say instead of the diopter I use a 1.4x telecoverter. What is the lens actually shooting at now?

Then lets say I have a 21mm extension tube coupled with the 1.4x teleconverter, where am I at now?

If someone could please explain the math and give some examples that would be awesome!! Thanks!

All I can say is that you magnification ramps up quick when you start using a combo of TC's and tubes.

On my 180mm 1:1...adding the 1.4tc get's me around 1.475:1. Using 68mm of tubes gets me around 1.4:1.....logically you would think that would mean the combo of both would put me at around 1.9:1, but in reality the full set of both puts me between 2.5:1 and 2.7:1. So basically the combo of those really increases mag a lot quicker.

I can't say for sure, but I would guess on a 2:1 lens that the 1.4TC and 21mm tube would put you at least 1:1 if not a bit beyond.

I actually have a 1:2 faux-macro that I can try to test out if I can find the time and see what the combo of a 20ish mm tube and a 1.4TC puts the mag at.....of course it's a 300mm lens instead of a 100mm so the tube won't have as much effect on mine as it will your 100mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back